scythe

Simaneon

French
Hello,

I was wondering if the word "scythe" could be used as "tranchant" in french, like the edge of something.

Thanks.

(...) it the description of a wolf, more precisely its leg:

"Past the soft pink toes was something denser — the scythes of her claws. "

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Maîtreaupôle

anglais "Canada"
    "...the scythes of her claws." Littéralement, ça c,est "les faux de ses griffes". Néanmoins, la référence (tacite) est plus spécifiquement à la lame arquée d'une faux.

Simaneon

French
    Yeah, I figured as much but I wanted to be sure there weren't any other meaning I did not know. Maybe I'll translate it by "griffes dont la courbure rappelait celle d'une faux" or something like that then.

Thank you guys.

Maîtreaupôle

anglais "Canada"
    How about " - les sabres/cimeterres de ses griffes." That way, though it's a change of instruments, you present the picture, more simply, of curved blades, which sabres and scimitars suggest - that, instead of the more confusing form of a scythe which conjures up an image of a long and rather strangely shaped handle as well as that of a blade. (Not that sabres and scimitars don't have handles but they are much less conspicuous and leave one's focus on their blades.

Simaneon

French
    Well, "sabres" and "cimeterres" sound less "natural" and although they are weapons, they do not convey the "deadly" feeling one could sense from a scythe you see ?
    Eventually I translated it by "Griffes pareils à des faux", but any other suggestion is welcomed.

Lucky19

Français de France
    :warning:

griffes pareilles à des faux...

J'aime bien ce qu'a dit Carlos, voire => ses griffes, telles des lames de faux, ....

Simaneon

French
    :warning:

J'aime bien ce qu'a dit Carlos, voire => ses griffes, telles des lames de faux, ....
    Dans un autre contexte ça passerait bien je pense, mais la phrase étant:
    Ta suggestion en l'état me paraît du coup ne pas coller.
    Quand à celle de Carlos, elle me semble pertinente en effet.

Lucky19

Français de France
    Dans un autre contexte ça passerait bien je pense, mais la phrase étant:
    Ta suggestion en l'état me paraît du coup ne pas coller.
    Quand à celle de Carlos, elle me semble pertinente en effet.
    Je suis tout à fait d'accord avec toi.
    J'ai cependant formulé ma variante en réponse à la traduction que tu proposes et non à l'aune du contexte initial.
    Désolé, j'aurais dû le préciser.

Maîtreaupôle

anglais "Canada"
    Impossible (pour moi, du moins) de ne pas seconder le choix si simple et bien tourné de Carlos! "...ses griffes en lame de faux..." :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >