se acabará mi conciente

Trav

English (USA)
Perdona si sueno rudo. Pero con mi vida se acabará mi conciente, lo sé. (underline in the original)

This phrase occurs at the end of a letter from a son, in a new country, to his father back home. The son has used blunt language in the letter to suggest that his father join him. The son leads an intense life.

My suggested translation:

Excuse me if this sounds harsh. But with my life I am losing my tact, I know it.

I'm not sure what 'conciente' means in this context. Any help appreciated. The son's native country is Latin American.

• ORL

Spanish/Argentina
    It is actually "consciente", but it has nothing to do with "tact".
    I honestly don´t know what he means. Sorry.
    Consciente is the state of being conscious.

Trav

English (USA)
    Thank you for the observation.

I quoted 'conciente' correctly as it appears in the letter. I believe however that it is a misspelling, common for this writer, for 'consciente'.

I have been fascinated, and a little puzzled, as a non-native speaker, by the significance of the different spelling between 'consciencia' and 'conciencia' for example, which according to my dictionary, means 'consciousness' and 'awareness', even moral 'awareness.'

Am I correct in my interpretation that 'consciencia' refers to the physical fact of being conscious, as opposed to being not physically 'conscious' or 'awake' or 'aware' of one's surroundings, whereas 'conciencia' refers to an active state of not only being 'conscious', but feeling and seeing one's environment in an alert way; and further that 'conciencia' could have the figurative meaning of being morally aware?

I realize 'tact' was a stretch, but I was really clueless!

I now consider this a better translation:

Excuse me if this sounds harsh. But with my life I am losing my mind, I know it.

< Previous | Next >