se comporter comme des lapins

Enitram

french France
Bonjour,

Récemment le Pape a déclaré qu' "en matière de sexualité, il ne fallait pas se comporter comme des lapins..."

Est-ce qu'il y a une expression équivalente en anglais ?

Merci

• Dogfever

UK
    English - British
    It puts me in mind of the phrase "at it like rabbits" but I would be surprised to hear the pope use that turn of phrase.

I'd just take a pretty straight translation: "regarding sexuality, [there is no need to/people shouldn't] behave like rabbits"

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    It could indeed refer to rabbits' purported lusty ;) sex drive, but here, more likely, 'breed like rabbits' (very superior old pale 44's #3) meaning 'reproduce in great numbers' (the obvious result of such behaviour). The Pope did indeed say that, but if he'd reflected first, he might have said something like 'have children responsibly', 'don't undertake the responsibilities of parenthood lightly'.

Dogfever

UK
    English - British
    You think, even with the "en matière de sexualité" up front? I thought it was more general than breeding on account of this

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Rabbits' sexual behaviour, and the resulting overpopulation (ask any Australian) which results from it are cause and effect. Rabbits don't think before coupling; humans should. (Yeah, right, we always do...)

papamac

He was speaking in Italian, so we are discussing the translation of a translation for a start. For further context, he mentioned a woman about to have her 8th child in dangerous circumstances (to her health). He was definitely talking about having very large numbers of children, not the manner in which you conceive them. In French, doesn't 'go at it like rabbits' have a connotation of it all being over and done with quite quickly?

Lacuzon

French - France
    Bonjour,

You are right Papamac, that is a translation. I must add se comporter comme des lapins is a little ambiguous because there are two different expressions in French:

Se reproduire comme des lapins which means having a very large number of children.
    Faire l'amour comme des lapins which may mean very quickly or very often or both.

< Previous | Next >