se concrétiser

Aleza

français, France
Hello everyone,

I have to translate a text dealing with a particular mass during the 14th century and an art movement. I have trouble with a sentence about theoreticians willing to understand the musical speech to better write it:

"Ces préoccupations des théoriciens à mieux comprendre les fonctionnements du discours se concrétisèrent dans un véritable courant esthétique baptisé « Ars Nova ». "

Here is how I translated it : "The theoreticians’ wishes to better understand the musical speech were achieved thanks to (materialized in??) a real musical movement named “Ars Nova”."

I know it's really bad so I need your help...

Thanks a lot

• egremoq

England / English
    These concerns of the theoreticians for a better understanding of (the) musical speech were given concrete expression in a real aesthetic movement christened "Ars Nova."

Aleza

français, France
    oh yes it makes sense now ! You two gave me very useful answers :)

Thanks a lot egremoq, and don't worry SunnyS, your little suggestion is enough to help me !

Thanks ! :)

Aleza

français, France
    Yes I hesitated too. At first I put "musical discourse", but I found more Google entries for "musical speech"... I don't know which one to choose, I found both in the same context.

The text deals with religious music during the 14th century, and the difficulties to write the musical speech/discourse down (notes, rythm)

Does it help you see which one is more appropriate? I can't find the difference between the two in Google articles :s

joaopaolo

Canadian English
    I might simply use "led to" here.

Although I like both "gave concrete expression to" and "served as a foundation to."

maybe a "full-fledged" movement / a movement in its own right.

Yes I hesitated too. At first I put "musical discourse", but I found more Google entries for "musical speech"... I don't know which one to choose, I found both in the same context.

The text deals with religious music during the 14th century, and the difficulties to write the musical speech/discourse down (notes, rythm)

Does it help you see which one is more appropriate? I can't find the difference between the two in Google articles :s
    Sorry, no, I am not familiar with the subject. I think it would be good for you to ask separately. Usually speech and discourse are very different things in English.

Aleza

français, France
    Sorry, no, I am not familiar with the subject. I think it would be good for you to ask separately. Usually speech and discourse are very different things in English.
    Yes I think so too. I'm doing it right now :)

Thanks Jaopaolo. I guess I am going to opt for "were given concrete expression" though :)

Thanks again everyone

< Previous | Next >