se contenta con poco

anqsia

Polish
Hi,
I'm trying to translate this sentence into English:

Se contenta con poco, es lento y tranquilo y ni la sequia, ni calor criminar, ni los vientos glaciales lo alteran.

The text is about "El cerdo iberico y sus productos" and before that sentence there is reference to Extremadura.

My attempt:
[The land] won't please everyone, it's slow (growing [?]) and peaceful and it isn't destroyed by drought, glaring heat or bitter winds.

What do you think?

Thanks!

• Alisterio

UK English
    The meaning of "se contenta con poco" is more like "he/she/it is easily pleased". If this is a reference to Extremadura, maybe you could say something like "[The land] gets by on very little..."

anqsia

Polish
    Hi,
    sorry for the confusion!
    The text is about "el cerdo iberico y sus productos".
    The sentence before is:
    " En primavera, cuando la lluvia hace reverdecer los escasos pastos,
    la tierra de nadie de Extremadura se presenta bajo una luz nueva" [citation used]

..so I believe the following sentence refers to Extremadura.

Am I wrong?:)

katlpablo

Se contenta con poco, es lento y tranquilo y ni la sequía, ni el calor criminal, ni los vientos glaciales lo alteran.

My attempt:
    [The land] won't please everyone, it's slow (growing [?]) and peaceful and it isn't destroyed by drought, glaring heat or bitter winds.
    Attempt:
    [The land] is happy with little, it's slow and calm and neither the drought, the killer heat, nor glacial winds alter it.

katlpablo

Katlpablo, do you actually say in English 'land is happy with little'?
    I'm not sure, it sounds a little bit odd to me.
    You're right, it does sound a little bit odd. Alisterio's suggestions are better. I think.
    The meaning of "se contenta con poco" is more like "he/she/it is easily pleased". If this is a reference to Extremadura, maybe you could say something like "[The land] gets by on very little..."
    A native English speaker's help is better here.

< Previous | Next >