Se engalla el hampa

< Previous | Next >

glebegigiella

English - England
Can you help me translate 'se engalla el hampa' ... it's a newspaper headline, captioning a map about drug crime in Mexico. For 'el hampa' I was going to say 'organised crime' - any other suggestions? Engallarse/se engalla I have no idea! Thanks so much ...

• glebegigiella

English - England
    ok ... not sure about embolden as a word so, to check engallarse, does it have a sense of increasing their confidence, becoming cocky or even brazen? Could you maybe give an example of another phrase where engallarse is used to help if I want a different word than embolden.

Borderer

English (UK)
    Hi - my dictionary translates engallarse as to get cocky:

it depends how sensationalist the headline is - it could be something like

the rise of the criminal underworld (serious)

Cocky criminal gangs taking over (sensationalist)
    Cocksure criminals expand their power bases

You get the idea!

glebegigiella

English - England
    I noticed the first replier comes from USA/Spanish mother tongue - is the adjective 'cocky' a problem in USA english ... it's on the edge, I'd say, in some UK English contexts due to its vulgar connotations .. I guess people under age of about 35 wouldn't use it for that reason?? But otherwise I think my original question is well covered - so many thanks -

cafeliso

english - united states, detroit
    cocky isn't vulgar in American English, cocksure might be to someone unfamiliar with the term. But we use cocky often, meaning full of one's self, arrogant, overly confident-

cero

North American English
    The usage of cocky is from the male fighting bird which is a cock. A cockfight is a contest held in a ring called a cockpit between two gamecocks or cocks. Gamecocks are not typical farm chickens. The cocks are specially bred and trained for increased stamina and strength.

< Previous | Next >