se faire un point d'honneur

Ti Bateau

English
What exactly is the meaning of this phrase? I can only find it on Linguee, but would prefer a dictionary definition/WR help.
& what does 'se faire' mean in the phrase?

I understand the phrase to mean, literally, 'to make something a point of honour', i.e. to take pride in doing something, to be dedicated/committed to doing something.

For example:
Notre compagnie se fait un point d'honneur de répondre aux besoins de nos clients.
Our company is committed to meeting our clients' needs.

Thank you in advance.

• christelleny

French-France
    "Se faire un point d'honneur de" is synonym with "mettre un point d'honneur à" and means:

Faire de quelque chose un une question d'honneur, un engagement personnel ; s'en glorifier, y attacher une importance particulière
    Source

Wiktionary offers the following definition: Mettre [à quelque chose] un soin comparé au soin qu'on à de son honneur.

Ti Bateau

English
    Thank you both christelleny and Michelvar.
    So now I know that 'se faire un point d'honneur de' means the same as 'mettre un point d'honneur à', but why do we have to use 'se faire' versus 'faire un point d'honneur' (my second question above - what does se faire mean?)

Michelvar

Quasimodo
    French / France
    Because, using "je me fais un point d'honneur de" emphasizes the fact that it's your decision and that you impose this decision to yourself (because you say "je me" = I, to me"), you state firmly that you commit yourself to. It's the same by using "mettre un moint d'honneur", as "mettre" is an action verb saying that you involve yourself, but with "se/me/nous faire" its more clear, I guess.

Ti Bateau

English
    Thank you Michelvar for your clear explanation of 'se faire'; & wildan1 for your comment.
    The 'point d'honneur' doesn't seem to feature in any of examples - it is less about 'point of honour'/'taking pride', & more about 'making it a point/commitment etc.'
    To a French person, Michelvar, does pride or honour spring to mind when you hear this phrase? (It certainly does to the anglophones in the posts re. 'mettre un point d'honneur').

< Previous | Next >