se le van a imputar varios cargos graves

IrishJuanita

English
Hi, I noted this from a netflix drama: "Se le van a imputar varios cargos graves". "you are going to be charged with several serious charges"

Why is there a "se"here? Is it to do with reflexive, or passive? I am very bad at understanding direct and indirect objuects too.It could be that!

Similarly the phrase "se te informa", "you are informed". Is that the passive, "you are being informed?"

Thanks so much

• Cholo234

American English
    Why is there a "se"here? Is it to do with reflexive, or passive? I am very bad at understanding direct and indirect objuects too.It could be that!
    Yes, it has to do with the passive, the pasiva refleja (found only with transitive verbs in the third person singular or plural) which describes an action where the subject, in Spanish, is unknown or deemphasized. But the Google translator translates your sentence in the active voice: "You are going to be charged with several serious charges."
    Examples given as Passive se

Spanish​
    English​
    Los cangrejos se cuecen en vino blanco(The) crabs are boiled in white wine
    El vino se le sirvió en copas de cristalThe wine was served to him in crystal glasses
    Es una zona de sequía, así que no se ven muchos árbolesIt’s a very drought-ridden area, so you don’t see many trees/not many trees are to be seen
    (A New Reference Grammar, 28.4)

Similarly the phrase "se te informa", "you are informed". Is that the passive, "you are being informed?"
    Yes. "You are being informed" is the (present) passive continuous.

Last edited:
    ¿Ayuda lo siguiente, @IrishJuanita?
    "van a imputar varios cargos graves" = "imputarán cargos"
    "se van a imputar varios cargos graves" = "un sujeto indeterminado imputará cargos"
    "le van a imputar varios cargos graves" = "imputarán cargos a usted/él/ella"
    "se le van a imputar varios cargos graves" = "un sujeto indeterminado imputará cargos a usted/él/ella"