Se non sapessi

Wolverine

I have big problem with ipotetic periods..

I've seen the movie "lord of war"

In the end one actor says to the other:

"Ti manderei in un posto (in that case was hell) se non sapessi che ci sei già"

So i try.

I would send you in one place (in that case was i would send you to hell) if I wouldn't know that you are already there.

What about?
Grazie/thanks
gigi

• Manuel_M

Maltese
    Ti manderei in un posto se non sapessi che ci sei già
    I would send you to a (certain) place, if I didn't know you were there already.

Moogey

USA English
    Wolverine said:
    I have a big problem with ipotetic periods hypothetical sentences/frases..

I've seen the movie "Lord of War"

In the end one actor says to the other:

"Ti manderei in un posto (in that case it was hell) se non sapessi che ci sei già"

So I try.

I would send you in one place (in that case was I would send you to hell) if I wouldn't know that you are already there.

What about? What do you guys think?
    Grazie/thanks
    gigi
    Ciao gigi,

Prima di tutto vorrei dirti che ho cambiato "period" a "sentence/frase" perché "period" non significa "frase" in inglese (a dispetto del fatto che sembrano affini).

Si può dire:

- {I would/I'd} send you someplace if I didn't know you were {already there/there already}
    - {I would/I'd} send you someplace if I hadn't known that you're {there already/already there}

Ci sono molti diversi modi di dire ciò. Dipende dalla propria preferenza.

-M

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    Moogey said:
    Ciao gigi,

Prima di tutto vorrei dirti che ho cambiato "period" a "sentence/frase" perché "period" non significa "frase" in inglese (a dispetto del fatto che sembrano affini).

Si può dire:

- {I would/I'd} send you someplace if I didn't know know you were {already there/there already} :tick:
    - {I would/I'd} send you someplace if I hadn't known that you're {there already/already there}

Ci sono molti diversi modi di dire ciò. Dipende dalla propria preferenza.

-M
    That's my first pick. By the way, "frase" isn't an English word, right? Just "phrase." Tell me, is it a good sign or a bad sign when the language you're learning starts creeping into your native tongue?! :D

Brian

Moogey

USA English
    Hi Brian,

In English of course we have "sentence" and "phrase"

In Italian, they have "frase" which means both of the English words, and also "periodo" which means just sentence (I think).

Don't get confused with "sentenza" like I did! That means a sentence a court judge gives out!

P.S.- I can't believe all the typos I've been making lately :(:eek::p

-M

moodywop

Banned
    Italian - Italy
    Moogey said:
    In English of course we have "sentence" and "phrase"

In Italian, they have "frase" which means both of the English words, and also "periodo" which means just sentence (I think).

Don't get confused with "sentenza" like I did! That means a sentence a court judge gives out!

That's very good indeed, Moogey!:thumbsup:

PS We can also use "espressione idiomatica" for "idiom" or "idiomatic phrase"