se payer une pinte de bon sang

Professor Sewell

English American
I came across this expression in the following sentence:

C'est à cette heure-là que tu arrives ? Tu ne vois pas qu'il est nuit noire ? Je me suis payé une pinte de bon sang en t'attendant...
It seems that this author is using this expression in the sense of se faire du mauvais sang / s'inquiéter.

However, when I look in my bilingual dictionary, this expression is translated as to have a good laugh / a good time

Are either of these definitions correct and, if so, which one?

TY

• pointvirgule

langue française
    I tend to agree with Pete, it must be a misuse of the expression. Why would the person express concern about the other coming home late at night, then declare that s/he had a laugh while waiting for them?

Is this from a published work, or from a story written by a student?

Professor Sewell

English American
    I tend to agree with Pete, it must be a misuse of the expression. Why would the person express concern about the other coming home late at night, then declare that s/he had a laugh while waiting for them?

Is this from a published work, or from a story written by a student?
    Thanks, pointvirgule. I found the sentence quoted in an amateur writer's short story. It's one of many French manuscripts I read on a regular basis.

KaRiNe_Fr

Français, French - France
    Salut Professor Sewell,

Ah, there's your problem. :)
    Mauvaise langue ! :p
    Mais c'est un dialogue, c'est donc peut-être voulu ! Le personnage qui dit ça n'est peut-être pas très lettré et se tromperait d'expression en voulant dire qu'il s'est fait du mauvais sang (qu'il s'est inquiété) en l'attendant pendant la nuit... ;)

avendre

English
    Is it at all possible that the speaker of the sentence isn't worried about the late arrival of the other, but only disappointed/surprised that it was so delayed, meaning that in the meantime the speaker was able to have all the fun on his/her own? Sort of like, 'What's the big idea of waiting until now to roll up, all the fun is over?'

petit1

français - France
    No,I don't think so. The speaker was really out of his (her) mind with anxiety. His / her blood was running cold.

< Previous | Next >