se refermer sur soi-même

< Previous | Next >
  • liulia

English/French
    Depending on context, you could say something like "to withdraw" or "to turn inwards", or even "to cut oneself off" or "set distances".

FAC13

English, UK
    Depending on context, you could say something like "to withdraw" or "to turn inwards", or even "to cut oneself off" or "set distances".
    I agree with all of those, though perhaps not completely with the final one.

I also suggest "to close up".

However, isn't it "se renfermer" (note the N) not "se refermer" - and also shouldn't it be "en" not "sur" ?

catay

Canada anglais
    In a psychological or spiritual context, "to retreat into oneself" is also used in English.

patyl

Cantonese
    Sorry I am quite late in the discussion for this one. I saw both se renfermer sur soi and se refermer sur soi in wordref. Their meanings seem to be the same! Is there a difference?

Kelly B

USA English
    Ninikrakra said:
    in French we say "se renfermer" and "se refermer sur soi"
    Take a closer look at the dictionary entries as well as Ninikrakra's post - one of your proposed sentences is redundant. :)

patyl

Cantonese
    Hmm... I read and that's why I am confused. I saw wordref dictionary having the same meaning for both entries: se renfermer sur soi-même and se refermer sur soi-même, and thus wondering.

< Previous | Next >