se sont reintroduits depuis 96-97

< Previous | Next >

FR_ES_TRAD

British English
I need some help with the following sentence:

Ces gazelles dorcas y sont réintroduits au parc National de Souss Massa depuis 96-97 dans un objectif de multiplication pour qu’on puisse avoir une pépinière d’animaux qu’on peut par la suite essayer de réintroduire dans les autres régions du Maroc.

My attempt:

These dorcas gazelles have been reintroduced to the Souss Massa National Park since 96-97 in a bid to increase their numbers so that we can have a nursery stock of animals that we can in turn try to reintroduce into other regions of Morocco,

I always get confused with time expressions in French...
In this case I wasn't sure if depuis strictly meant 'since' or whether you could also say:

These dorcas gazelles WERE reintroduced to the Souss Massa National Park IN 96-97 in a bid to increase their numbers so that we can have a nursery stock of animals that we can in turn try to reintroduce into other regions of Morocco.

Was it a one-off event that is now over or are they STILL reintroducing them into the park?

Your contributions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Zoe

• Quenelle_Lyonnaise

French - France
    Well using "in" would mean that they were reintroduced in the park only that year, right? When the French word "depuis" does mean since as you suggested, which implies that it started that year but it keeps going, it's something recurrent, probaby they still add more and more gazelles now and then :) That's how I understand it anyway! :D

FR_ES_TRAD

British English
    OK, those are pretty definitive answers! Thanks for confirming that it refers to something ongoing since 96-97.

I appreciate the clarification!

Cilquiestsuens

French
    réintroduits is wrong as gazelles (dorcas or whatever) is feminine... so it should be réintroduites.

Then as Quenelle rightly mentioned the tense used here is present... describing an ongoing process (this is the passive form) so it should be translated are being reintroduced.

have been reintroduced would have translated ont été réintroduites.

Note to the Moderators: Can you correct the title of this thread... 'se' is wrong.... gazelles didn't reintroduce themselves! thanks

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >