Se te ve la hucha

MarkLondres

England/English
I understand the meaning of "se te ve la hucha" but i don't understand its structure (hence I have posted it in the grammar forum)

I am having trouble approximating it to an English equivalent.

Se [...] ve is this the passive voice? Or is it reflexive? is it from the verb verse?

Te presumably denotes ownership of la hucha, or the person that is showing their hucha, but it isn't a possessive pronoun

Once again I find myself wondering to what all the pronouns mean. Can anyone explain to me how this phrase is structured? is there a clumsy literal translation that may make it easier to comprehend?

I would have tried to post this doubt in Spanish but I fear I may not comprehend responses in Spanish

• spanien

Spanish
    Hi MarkLondres,

verse is a reflexive verb and la hucha is a direct object.
    Te presumably denotes ownership of la hucha, or the person that is showing their hucha, but it isn't a possessive pronoun :tick:
    Se te ve la hucha ( to you= a ti = te)

MarkLondres

England/English
    so te is part of verse and not se

therefore se ve is the passive voice?

se te ve la hucha = la hucha can be seen to you? (yes clumsy but i am just trying to work the structure out)

spanien

Spanish
    Passiv voice is other thing for me. E.g:

Una carta fue recibida por mi. ( I don´t say it so. I say: Recibí una carta )

A letter was received by me.

MarkLondres

England/English
    I would say better impersonal form. I try to translate literally:

One sees your piggy bank.
    Thanks for your help in this Spanien, so "one sees" is indeed the passive voice (sort of) but I still don't know whether the se or the te belongs to verse. one would imagine that if it is impersonal then the se is not part of verse.

"One sees" = "is seen" does it not?
    And as i suggested earlier te (your) has a connotation of posession

MarkLondres

England/English
    Passiv voice is other thing for me. E.g:

Una carta fue recibida por mi. ( I don´t say it so. I say: Recibí una carta )

A letter was received by me.
    I think in the passive voice it would be written

se recibió una carta

Is this correct? and now do you see the connection I am making with se te ve la hucha? in terms of the passive voice?

FJaviD

España (Castellano, Català)
    I agree with MarkLondres:

In my opinion, it's a sort of passive sentence that is called "pasiva refleja" in spanish. You can do it with "SE" and the verb in 3r person.

"Se te ve la hucha"

La hucha = sujeto
    Te = complemento indirecto (= a ti)

If we try to change the subject we will need to change the verb

"se te ven las huchas"

So, it means that hucha is subject, indeed.

spanien

Spanish
    Are you sure that it is passive voice? I think that it is other thema, something impersonal or personal pronoun, but I don't remember the name :confused:.

Can you speak german? or Spanish?
    Se dice que,...

Unfortunately I forgot my English, a example:

se cuida mucho, she takes good care of herself
    (un animal a sí mismo) itself

se dice que ....= It is said that.... ( I am not sure here with the translation :confused:)

MarkLondres

England/English
    So if i comment to a friend that i see someone else's "piggy bank"

Would I say se le ve la hucha?

And if i saw various "piggybanks"

Would I say se les ven las huchas?

spanien

Spanish
    Yo lo entiendo como se nota que tienes dinero.

And if i saw various "piggybanks"

Would I say
    se les ven las huchas? Correcto
    Mmmm, pasiva refleja is an individual kind for me. If I were you, I 'd prefer to study separately.

MarkLondres

England/English
    Are you sure that it is passive voice? I think that it is other thema, something impersonal or personal pronoun, but I don't remember the name :confused:.

Can you speak german? or Spanish?
    Se dice que,...

Unfortunately I forgot my English, a example:

se cuida mucho, she takes good care of herself
    (un animal a sí mismo) itself

se dice que ....= It is said that.... ( I am not sure here with the translation :confused:)
    yo creo que "se cuida mucho" > she takes good care of herself sería un verbo reflexivo

y "se dice que" sería la voz pasiva

Así se te ve la hucha

se = la parte pasiva
    te = el pronombre del verbo verse que hace la estructura reflexiva, y tambien tiene conotación del posesivo

MarkLondres

England/English

Mmmm, pasiva refleja is an individual kind for me. If I were you, I 'd prefer to study separately.
    gracias pero entiendo bastante bien los verbos reflejivos, y tambien la voz pasiva. es que aveces me ahogo un poco en pronombres. saber que es un ejemplo de la refleja pasiva lo ha resolucionado.

norby659

Spain Spanish

La expresión se refiere a cuando alguien se agacha (o se sienta) y por encima del pantalón sobresale un poco la raja del culo. Esa rajita se asemeja a la que tienen las huchas y de ahí la expresión

< Previous | Next >