se va a ver mal

< Previous | Next >

OLIVIAZHERE

Chinese
So...here es my question.
‘De pronto pienso que mmi colección de fotografías se va a ver mal en un libro tan pequeño, y le pido a mi hermano mayor que me explique bien cómo se hace un diario.’

l’m confused. Why there have to be the ‘se’ in all the sentences? What’s the function of these ‘se’?

Moderator's note
Additional questions which raise different issues have been deleted (rule 2). Please ask one question per thread. Thank you.
Bevj

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Cholo234

American English
    l’m confused. Why there have to be the ‘se’ in all the sentences? What’s the function of these ‘se’?
    In Spanish, the passive voice (and also the "impersonal usage") uses se -- as in your sentence -- ‘De pronto pienso que mmi colección de fotografías se va a ver mal' -- in which the subject, colección, is the element that is "acted upon."

Without se, your sentence would imply that your collection was seeing something: ‘De pronto pienso que mmi colección de fotografías va a ver mal'.

With se, the sentence becomes passive (some call this "reflexive") -- in other words, the subject is acted upon: 'Soon I think that my collection of photos (pictures) is going to be seen badly (look bad)'.

1600185356615.png

1600183370995.png

Last edited:

gengo

American English
    ‘De pronto pienso que mmi colección de fotografías se va a ver mal en un libro tan pequeño, y le pido a mi hermano mayor que me explique bien cómo se hace un diario.’

l’m confused. Why does there have to be the ‘se’ in all the sentences? What’s the function of these ‘se’?
    To add to what gvergara said, it's similar to the difference between the following.

He looks at the photos.
    He looks good in that hat.

In the first, the subject is actually looking, but in the second, the subject is appearing a certain way. It's basically the same with ver and verse.

OLIVIAZHERE

Chinese
    Thank you so much for all the detailed explanations, which help me a lot.
    So to be clear, ‘Se ve nadie aquí.’ is the passive voice, however ‘Se habla español en España.’ is impersonal. Am l right?(l believe they are different uses.)

< Previous | Next >