sea otter//beaver//otter

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesusguime

Banned
Chinese
This hat is made of beaver//otter//sea otter.

Hi,
Do beaver, otter, and sea otter mean about the same in the above? In my dictionary, a beaver seems to live in a sea while an otter a river. But a sea otter must live in a sea. If so, is it equal to a beaver? Thanks.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    This is a research question, really. I think you will get a better idea if you look them up in Wiki, or some other resource that has pictures and gives more information. You could begin by doing a search for images.

A hint though: you seem to have reversed otters and beavers. Beavers live rivers; otters live in the sea.*

*Edit: Please notice a little edgy's correction below; not all otters live in the sea.

Last edited:
    Beavers are different animals from otters, and they are found in fresh water (not the sea, which is salt water). There are many kinds of otters, some of which - sea otters - live in the sea. "Otter," by itself, most likely refers to the freshwater variety.

Limeade

English-USA
    They are all different animals. Beavers have flat tails and build dams. I think that there are river otters and sea otters.

I know that people have made hats out of beavers. I don't know if people do anymore. Otter hats? Sea otter hats??? Not that I know of. Never heard of it.

sdgraham

USA English
    The beaver, genus castor, is the state animal of Oregon and lives in fresh water. It has nothing to do with otters, of which there are many types.

jesusguime

Banned
    Chinese
    Thanks, my helpful mentors.

But things seems getting more and more confusing! Do "beavers" or "otters" live in fresh water?

Limeade

English-USA
    Beavers live in rivers.. fresh water and otters can live in either. It depends on the species.

If you google otters you will see.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Thanks, my helpful mentors.

But things seems getting more and more confusing! Do "beavers" or "otters" live in fresh water?
    Please do some research the internet. The differences between these two animals and the environments they prefer is not really a language question.

I am closing this thread.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >