seal / stamp

< Previous | Next >

AlwaysLearner

Chinese
Hello,

I want to know if seal and stamp can be used interchangeablly.

In the last section of a contract or agreement, there is always space for siganture and seal/stamp.

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    When I sign a contract that must bear an official corporate emblem, I make an impression on the paper with a metal device; this impression is called the corporate seal. (It's not something that's affixed.)

AlwaysLearner

Chinese
    When I sign a contract that must bear an official corporate emblem, I make an impression on the paper with a metal device; this impression is called the corporate seal. (It's not something that's affixed.)
    But "affix" can mean not only "attach physically" but "attch in any way: add, append". <affix a signature to a document> (According to Merriam-Webster)
    So I guess you can also affix a seal on a document.

But you both still didn't mention "stamp". If you looked at the following link, you would see "stamp" is used instead of "seal". So I guess "seal" and "stamp" can be interchangeablly used.
    http://www.peacecapitalmarket.com/i...ew&gid=30&tmpl=component&format=raw&Itemid=98

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    But you both still didn't mention "stamp". If you looked at the following link, you would see "stamp" is used instead of "seal". So I guess "seal" and "stamp" can be interchangeablly used.
    Your guess is based on a document in Nigerian English and refers to the verb "to seal" rather than the noun.

I remind myself that the internet is full of examples of everything, and not all are checked for quality.

Your point is "I want to know if seal and stamp can be used interchangeably." - You do not say if you mean the nouns or verbs or both, and the answer is "not in all cases", so, the general answer is "No."

A seal (noun) is usually in three dimensions, a stamp (noun) is usually in two dimensions.

As verbs, to seal (verb) has the nuance of "to finalise; to render unalterable - this nuance is not present in "stamp".

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    There's also the problem that there are several different types of seal and stamp:
    1. A stamp that is paper, with a sticky back.
    2. A stamp made of rubber that leaves an inked mark.
    3. A stamp made of metal, that embosses the document.
    4. A seal that is made of hot wax.
    5. A seal that is paper, with a sticky back.
    In the last section of a contract or agreement, any of these might be required, or even a combination of 3 and 5.

< Previous | Next >