Search for the right word - net worth?

oprah

English/US
I'm looking for the right word to describe someone's worth as a combination of wealth, social status, etc. I know that someone's net worth is in terms of just his wealth, but is there a word or phrase for a combination of all or a set of qualities?

• lizzeymac

English - USA
    Hi
    Net worth is a financial term & has no relation to the concept of social status. Being a good person may also have no impact on one's social status.
    Roughly speaking, your net worth is the value of your assets/income minus the value of your liabilities/debts.
    If you could you give us a little more context it would help.
    -

oprah

English/US
    Hi

I guess what I'm trying to express is that as a guy ages his total worth goes up (more wealth, higher social status) whereas for women as you age, your value seem to go down. I'm not trying to start any kind of controversy, but trying to translate this concept from another language into English and haven't been able to find the right way to express this.

lizzeymac

English - USA
    oprah said:
    Hi

I guess what I'm trying to express is that as a guy ages his total worth goes up (more wealth, higher social status) whereas for women as you age, your value seem to go down. I'm not trying to start any kind of controversy, but trying to translate this concept from another language into English and haven't been able to find the right way to express this.
    Hi -
    I am not trying to bait you, really, what aspect of a woman's "value" are you referring to as decreasing with age? Just in general? Fertility? Sexual attraction? Political power? Consumer power? Retirement savings? All of these might be possibilties to varying degrees.

Are you are referring to a particular demographic set of women - "housewives & "homemakers", single/never married, divorcees, single parents, widows, self-employed, etc.

I can't think of an English single word or set phrase that is specific to both the financial status and a perception of the "social" (?) value of a person. I think in order to be accurate you would have to list some of the types of values & use words like "decrease" or "reduction" in ~ power or value.

You might look at actuarial tables & see if there are industry insurance terms that cover this. Though industry jargon, by it's nature, would likely not be widely known.

Just curious - In what language is there a word or set phrase for this?

oprah

English/US
    Hello eveyone

Thanks for your attempts at finding a word or phrase for me. I didn't really think that there would be a term for this in English but thought i'd try and ask anyway.

And lizzeymac, the language that I'm trying to translate this from is Chinese. The two Chinese characters that make up this term are literally "body" and "value." I might be misinterpreting the exact meaning, but from context, I believe my interpretation is correct.

I hear it being talked about in terms of how a man, as he ages, have more and more women being attracted to him, because he now has money, is more cultured (don't know about this but..), is more distinguished, and also further up the corporate ladder.

On the other hand, as women age, as you mentioned, their fertility decreases, looks (in general), etc. The women referred to are usually single and past their 30s. When given a choice between an attractive, older successful women or just a younger attractive women, many men choose the later (not all, I know).

Hope that helps.

coconutpalm

Chinese,China
    Oprah, as a Chinese, I confirm that there is such a saying as you described. Actually, when I first read your post, I said to myself: Hey, is this guy translating from Chinese or something?

But things are changing. Women over thirty are growing more and more confident and less "obssessed " with men's judgement, while many men over thirty are worried about many many problems and less attractive.
    Still, I personally agree that men between thirty and fourty can be very very attractive, especially to young girls:D

Besides, there is a trend that many younger men/boys like older women. However, this kind of relationship generally ends in tragedy, mainly due to sexual disharmony ( I'm quite sure that this is not the right word, but I can't find a proper one:eek: ), I suppose.

To come back to the original point, your understanding is perfectly correct.:)

lizzeymac

English - USA
    Amazing - Chinese characters seem to be able to convey a broad concept far more easily. I understand 'body value' - it's blunt & pragmatic. I can only think of terms like: marriagable, would make a good wife, hard worker, child-bearing age, asset to the family - these are both vague & patriarchal. I suppose a vulgar but more modern term might be 'trophy wife', but that has a certain tacky/glitzy People Magazine quality.
    Thanks for explaining -

danielfranco

I suppose the westernized way of describing wealth and social standing in one single word would be "face", often used in reference to the eastern concept of "honor". "In order to save face, he sacrificed his favorite goat, which, sadly, was also his favorite friend but had caused his honor to be questioned..."
    Or something like that...

coconutpalm

Chinese,China
    Sorry, danielfranco, but I have to differ with you. I don't think what Oprah is trying to convey is relevant to the "saving face" concept in the orient.

The original version of the saying is very stereotyped, and sexual discriminative, but nothing to do with "face".

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    oprah said:
    I'm looking for the right word to describe someone's worth as a combination of wealth, social status, etc. I know that someone's net worth is in terms of just his wealth, but is there a word or phrase for a combination of all or a set of qualities?
    A person of some calibre. (a different adjective can be used… high, low, estimable, etc.)

Kelly B

USA English
    Eligible/eligibility comes to mind, but I'm not quite sure how I'd use it; also, the word is going out of use in this sense. Still, I thought I'd mention it in case it inspires some better idea....

ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    I am actually at a loss (in this case, you might condider using the term 'body value' in quotation marks with a small explanation phrase after it, when used for the first time).

Maybe something like "a good catch" ?

oprah

English/US
    Again, thanks for everyone's input. From what I've read so far, I'd have to go with eligibility or "good catch." Even though they still don't convey exactly what the Chinese phrase means, it's about as close as I can get to it.

< Previous | Next >