Secare Deum

Giwu

English-USA
In the 1993 movie "The Man Without a Face" Mel Gibson says this to a character near the end of the movie. There is no translation. I see from doing a quick search that it could be seccare rather than secare.

Anyone know what this means?

Thank you very much.

• Giwu

English-USA
    This question was moved from the Italian forum to here.

I found a quote online that may also help place this into context...

Tu ne unum poteris subsecuisse Deum.Carnifices tunicam minime proscindere Christisunt ausi: tentas tu ne secare Deum.

Frenko

Italy, Italian
    Hi Giwu and welcome to WRF :)

The thread was moved because your sentence is Latin.

More or less...

it's an invective against Arius who taught that the Son of God was not eternal (he kind of "cut up" the trinity).
    It ends with "try not to divide God" (tentas tu ne secare Deum) that's what you've asked for.

Giwu

English-USA
    Thank you...the site that I took that from said "Italia" so I assumed it was Italian.

So...."secare Deum" would mean what? Deum is God, but is secare divide? Does the phrase mean something different when they appear together?

Thanks much.

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Your secare is the infinitive form of "to cut up." This takes Deum as the direct object. The phrase as a whole means: to cut up God.

Giwu

English-USA
    Thank you very much. That doesn't really make sense in the way it is used in the movie. It sure sounds like it should be the word secare (phonetically....seh ca ray) but now I am wondering if there are any words that would be close to that and mean something different.

Frenko

Italy, Italian
    Thank you very much. That doesn't really make sense in the way it is used in the movie. It sure sounds like it should be the word secare (phonetically....seh ca ray) but now I am wondering if there are any words that would be close to that and mean something different.
    Here is what the sentence Mel Gibson says in the film is like:
    -You're a good Disciple, an excellent disciple. It's better for you to go... farewell. Secare Deum. Everything would be fine -

It seems you got the phrase right.

Giwu

English-USA
    The long quote I posted here in Latin was not used in the movie, I found that text elsewhere. :) Just the phrase "secare Deum" was used. Thank you to everyone for their help!

Rgo91

English
    salvete omnes!

Not quite. It was sequere Deum. Had the production-team taken the trouble to consult WR, they would not have allowed the actors to pronounce Latin so badly.
    Σ
    Right! I just spelled it wrong! The beauty is in the meaning. Mel (as far as he knows) has one chance to get a guaranteed word in and he encourages the boy to "follow God". Just ah. Melts my heart

< Previous | Next >