secateurs

Treesmith71

English USA
I would love an language of origin for this term: SECATEURS It is used in a manual on arborculture in English USA. I have no familiarity with the term. The def. here is: small pruning shears with a spring that holds the handles open and single blade that closes against a flat surface. This discription to me would be an anvil type pruner. However all the images of secateurs are scissor like or what I would refer to as by-pass pruners. Is there any more descriptive definition of this term. Possibly the orgin of the word would give some sense of its proper or technical use. I can give more detail if necessary
Thanks for the insight.
Treesmith71

• Kiana

English Australia
    Hi Treesmith71,

We call them secatures in Australia and they are as you described... " small pruning shears with a spring that holds the handles open and a single blade that closes against a flat surface. "
    They are the main gardening tool for pruning trees and shrubs
    I hope that helps
    Kiana,
    (Australia)

Treesmith71

English USA
    thanks,are you familiar with the ISA. Anvil style as are described in the definition on this web site (WordReference.com) are consider inappropriate for proper tree and shrub pruning. The reason being they crush the stem causing more damage to the plant than is necessary. If it is a generic term then the entry given here should be corrected. I am cooperating with work on a chinese translation and this word has been used but seems entirely inproper if it is specifically refering to anvil pruners.

Gil

Français, Canada
    Le terme le plus général est sécateur.

Il existe 3 types de sécateurs, les sécateurs à lames croisantes, les sécateurs à bec de perroquet et les sécateurs à enclume.
    Pour tailler les branches plus épaisses, on dispose d'un outil plus robuste: le taille-branches.
    Obviously, anvil pruners are sécateurs à enclume.

Le sécateur à bec de perroquet a des lames flottantes.

L'échenilloir est un sécateur muni d'un long manche (téléscopique ou non).

xav

France
    Treesmith71 said:
    thanks,are you familiar with the ISA. Anvil style as are described in the definition on this web site (WordReference.com) are consider inappropriate for proper tree and shrub pruning. The reason being they crush the stem causing more damage to the plant than is necessary. If it is a generic term then the entry given here should be corrected. I am cooperating with work on a chinese translation and this word has been used but seems entirely inproper if it is specifically refering to anvil pruners.
    The most common sécateur in France, which I use, has no anvil but two blades. You can see one here : http://www.castorama.fr/boutique/sku/sku.jhtml?elementId=Casto635993&productId=CastoJA0701&_requestid=873073
    and more here : http://images.google.fr/images?q=s%C3%A9cateur&hl=fr&btnG=Recherche+d%27images
    But maybe the meaning of the word is narrower in US English, even if it isn't in Australian English ?

< Previous | Next >