second fiddle? sidekick or any other words?

obogi

Korean
Hello, as a unnative speaker I doubt that there is a certain word that matches well in English.

The situation is that there is a girl who has grown up without full attention from her parents. Her parents only cared much for other kids except her. But whenever she was asked for some housechores or whatnot, she should have done that. She should have joined special family events like her dad's birthday party or her siblings graduation ceremony but she couldn't be celebrated her own special days.
She feels quite isolated and she thinks she was not a main character in her life. There is a word '들러리' in Korean and it literally means the helper or assistant but metaphorically we use the word in that kind of situation. I looked up the dictionary and there are two words found, sidekick and second fiddle. Can you use the word in this kind of situation?
and can you say 'I don't want to play second fiddle to myself.'or ' I don't want to sidekick to my family.' in this situation?

Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    I’m afraid neither of those works. I imagine there’s a better word than the one I’m going to propose, but the first thought that came to mind was, “I’m like an orphan in my own family.”

Now we’ll wait for other members to solve this puzzle.

< Previous | Next >