secret spin

Elecestmoi

Italiano
Hi there,
in the novel The Other's Gold by Elizabeth Ames I found this expression:
Lainey stacked the cushions off to one side and did a secret spin on the bare bench.
To me it means that Lainey did a kind of somersault on the bare bench when noboby was watching, but I'm not so sure.
What do you think?
Thanks!
ele

• Elecestmoi

Italiano
    What was happening at the time? It sounds as though they could have been playing some kind of game that involved 'spinning' something.
    She entered in this room for the first time and instantly noticed this window seat. So she stacked the cushions off to one side and did the "secret spin". No objects are involved! :-(

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    Then I think she probably 'sat with her knees bent up and span around - in a circle - on her bottom [ propelling herself with her feet or hands] while no-one was watching.

Myridon

English - US
    I agree with #4.
    While the cushions were off, the slick, polished surface of the wood was exposed which allowed her to do so.

kentix

English - U.S.
    The Other's Gold (Google Books)

This is part of the next sentence:

...she celebrated the small spell of freedom after her parents left but before her suitemates returned to the room.

I think "spin" probably just means "turn" as in she took a turn sitting unobserved in the window seat with her suitemates away and her parents gone.

Apparently, this window seat features prominently in the story. It's the first thing mentioned in the prologue of the book. (See the link above.)

I don't know the significance of removing the pillows. Perhaps she preferred the cool feeling.

There is nothing in the surrounding sentences to indicate she was doing anything but sitting - and spinning in a window seat seems pretty much impossible.

small-window-seat-nook-with-wallpaper.jpg

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It is always possible that "the window seat" is a revolving chair near the window.

kentix

English - U.S.
    This is a college suite shared by four female students. My guess is it doesn't have a bay window, but it could. I still think spinning would be quite a trick.

It is always possible that "the window seat" is a revolving chair near the window.
    This is the second line of the book (in the prologue).

Alice balanced her knee on the ledge [of the window seat], did a calf stretch.

Also, the OP sentence describes it, with the cushions removed, as a bare bench. Is it possible it's a bench sitting under a window? The line above, about a ledge, would argue against that.

Elecestmoi

Italiano
    Thank you all!
    I haven't (yet) made up my mind: the window seat is pretty large (at p. 2 the author talks about bay windows) so it's possible the character makes the move suggested by Franco-filly. It is nonetheless possibile that she merely turns...
    Thank you again for your help
    ele

< Previous | Next >