sede gemmata non autonoma

< Previous | Next >

Murphy

English, UK
I've got several hits for this phrase on google and I'm guessing it describes a place of a study/training away from the main university site but I can't find a dictionary entry for "gemmata", except in the latin phrase "crux gemmata" (jewelled cross) and I really don't see how that can be relevant.

I did wonder if it had anything to do with "twinning" but surely that's "gemmellato":confused: Can anyone confirm what this phrase means?

The context is a list of university courses and the sentence is as follows:
Corso di Laurea Triennale in Ostetricia (sede formativa "gemmata non autonoma" nell'Ospedale XX di Trapani trasferita nella sede formativa YY di Palermo)

• Blackman

Italiano/Sardo
    Forse gemmare in questa accezione fa al caso tuo...

gemmare

2. tr., fig. Nel linguaggio dei geografi, con riferimento a un centro abitato, dare origine a un nuovo centro, posto a qualche distanza dal primo, di cui è considerato filiazione e rispetto al quale ha funzioni subordinate.

Murphy

English, UK
    Thanks Blackman, that certainly looks like the right definition, in which case I think I can translate it simply as "affiliated". Thanks again.:)

Murphy

English, UK
    The thing is, Black, "branch" doesn't really work when talking about educational institutes; it's more likely to be used with banks, insurance companies and other commercial activities. "Affiliate" on the other hand, seemed to correspond well with the Treccani's definition of "gemmare".

I also found this. Do you think the phrase "gemmata non autonoma" means something very different?

Anja.Ann

Italian
    Ciao Murphy :)

I don't really know whether this can help you to find an English translation, but ... "le sedi 'gemmate', cioè sedi in cui ci sono docenti e strutture fisicamente operanti sul posto e il corso ha un'unica sede autonoma ed esterna alle università madre (a differenza dei corsi a distanza, tenuti in video conferenza)."

< Previous | Next >