See if they won't all pitch in

taraa

Persian
What does the part in orange mean?
Frosty is a snowman that has brought into life by magic. Karen wanted to take him to the North Pole and get on A refrigerated boxcar on a train headed north. But Karen was about to freeze and Frosty get her off.

Frosty: Hocus, I've got to get Karen all warmed up or she's a goner! But,I can't make a fire.
Narrator: Then suddenly they came upon a tiny glen which seemed almost magical. A refrigerated boxcar on a train headed north
Frosty: Hocus, speak to the animals. See if they won't all pitch in and build a fire for Karen.

Frosty the snowman cartoon

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    This is the definition that applies:
    1. pitch in, [no object][Informal.]to contribute to a common cause:If everybody pitches in, we can finish this job by 5 p.m.

taraa

Persian
    The WRF dictionaries may have more phrasal verbs than you think :)
    This is the definition that applies:
    1. pitch in, [no object][Informal.]to contribute to a common cause:If everybody pitches in, we can finish this job by 5 p.m.
    Many thanks both. I really looked up 'pitch' but I don't know how I didn't see 'pitch in'.
    But why is it 'won't' not 'will', please? 'will' is for 'willingness' here?

taraa

Persian
    I'm not sure I've understood this.

Both See if they will pitch in and See if they won't pitch in mean the same in this context.
    I meant:
    See if they won't all pitch in and won't build a fire for Karen.

Barque

Tamil
    Yes, I agree. "Pitch in and build a fire" is to be taken as one single entire action though it sounds like two separate actions. The pitching in is to build the fire.

< Previous | Next >