See if we can sell mom and dad into slavery for a star cruiser.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by dcx97, Mar 13, 2018.

1. dcx97 Banned

Hindi - India
    Hello,

In the sentence "See if we can sell mom and dad into slavery for a star cruiser." does "for" mean "in exchange for"? Is the speaker expecting a star cruiser as payment?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

Ontario, Canada. I grew up in US.
    English (American).
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Here it is for people who are afraid of attachments.
    [​IMG]

4. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

English (American).
    So, Myr, spaceship or car?

5. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    You're not going to cruise the galaxy in a car. :) Obviously, a spaceship.

6. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    When the aliens land, they are not likely to have any classic American automobiles in their possession, so I agree with Copyright on this.

When I opened the link in #3, I thought for a moment that Amazon was offering the car itself for sale.:oops:

7. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

English (American).
    Well, the kids said nothing about cruising the galaxy. I think it's quite possible for a kid to ask a *very powerful group of beings capable of flying to earth in a spaceship" for just about anything, including things of use on Earth. E.g. Take my parents, but give me a vintage T-bird and a 100-million-dollar mansion on the coast of France. Or "Take mom, but I'd like, in return, a new Game Boy Advance SP. These are kids, and the writer may be making a point that they're like the indigenous people, so it's stated in American myth, who allegedly sold Manhattan Island for $24 worth of glass beads. (It was later found that the sellers were not even the owners of the land, so the Dutch had to pay again to the rightful owners!)

8. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    They are looking up into the sky and talking about UFOs (ie star cruisers). What will we do when the aliens come? I think it's unlikely that the aliens have a vintage T-bird or a 100-million-dollar mansion in their possession for the purpose of bartering. There are some cars with the name "cruiser", but not "star cruiser."
    They could sell their parents for a car to anyone - no need to wait for the aliens to land.

9. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

English (American).
    There is a well known space ship, from Star Wars, first on the list. An intriguing possibility is the Ninja Turtles' Fantasy Vehicle. Then there are motocycles and cars with the name.

Mon Calamari Star Cruiser (spaceship, Star Wars)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have a Turtles’ Star Cruiser {Fantasy, atomic powered road vehicle}

============
    https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/346214290079842930/?lp=true Yamaha star cruiser motorcycle.

Inventorymap | Toys for Big Boys | Moncton New Brunswick
    2017 Honda® Pioneer™ 1000-5 EPS LE Utility (Utility Vehicle) Toys for Big Boys Moncton New Brunswick · 2017 Honda® Pioneer™ 500 Phantom Camo® Toys for Big ..... 2003 Yamaha Road Star Midnight Star Cruiser

Chrysler PT Cruiser - Mopar Muscle Magazine { PT car.}

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  10. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Actually, the galaxy's too small. If you don't think that Calvin is talking about space travel when he's hoping to trade for a star cruiser, I really don't know what to say.

11. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

English (American).
    If you look at the clips--I'm forbidden to post from-- of the Ninja Turtle's Star Cruiser, I think it's a strong possibility.

12. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Why would aliens in a star cruiser (spacecraft) have a TMNT star cruiser (toy or cartoon) or, more to the point, why is that the first thing that Calvin thinks of that he might get from aliens in a UFO? Why not marshmellows, pokemon, or a unicorn? Aliens have as more access to those than they do to TMNTs. When you hear hoof beats, think horses not turtles.

13. dojibear

dojibear Senior Member

Fresno CA
    English - Northeast US
    Calvin is a little kid. More importantly, he is a BOY. So he WANTS a spaceship. He wants a spaceship about a bazillion times more than he wants a pokemon. And aliens have spaceships.

And yes, in Calvin's world "bazillion" is a real number.

Here "sell A for B" means "trade A for B".

14. dcx97 Banned

Hindi - India
    Thanks!