See the beauty of our city AT/FROM an altitude of 100 metres

Dear friends!

Below I have given a sample sentence telling one about St.Isaac's in St.Petersburg, where you can get to the top and see the beauty of the city. What do you think about my way of expressing this idea?

If you get to the top of St.Isaac's, you will manage to see the beauty of our city AT/FROM an altitude of some 100 metres

Which preposition is correct? << Deleted proofreading request. You know this request is not permitted in WordReference. >>

Best

Last edited by a moderator:
  • ewie

English English
    I completely agree with Pete. Altitude's not only too formal but it sounds a lot higher, like 2,000 or 20,000 feet:eek:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I definitely also think altitude sounds out of place. I'm not sure I can back it up with others' examples, but I personally use altitude when you're not touching the ground (e.g., in a plane etc.) and height when you are connected to/on the ground (e.g., in a tower, on top of a tower).

WyomingSue

English--USA
    I would use height. My city has an altitude of 6200 feet above sea level, but when I am on the roof of my house I would be at a height of 20 feet or so. I don't know the latter for sure because I've never been on my roof--I hate heights!

Added later: After reading the previous thread about "elevation", I still wouldn't change what I wrote. Altitude is a standard usage for cities and mountains--how high above sea level.

Last edited:

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Perhaps it can be summarized as follows:

Altitude is for airplanes (the jet was cruising at an altitude of 30,000 feet)
    Elevation is for mountains (we were at an elevation of 8,000 feet when the storm came)
    Height is for buildings (the new house will have stories, or a height of 30 feet)

I am sure that there are exceptions...

< Previous | Next >