see you <socially>

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Is it the opposite of "see you privately"? That is, it means "see you in social occasions" (with the presence of other people)?

It seems not because if your therapist touches you inappropriately, s/he would more likely see you privately (for sexual advances etc.).

So my understanding gets boggled here.

Thanks in advance

You have legitimate cause for concern if your therapist:

shows signs of excessive fatigue, such as red eyes or sleepiness.

touches you inappropriately or tries to see you socially.

smells of alcohol, or you see liquor bottles or drug paraphernalia in the office.

-Psychology Today

Source

• kentix

English - U.S.
    "Socially" is being used as a contrast to "professionally". He sees you professionally in his role as a therapist. He should not try to become familiar with you in a personal way - become a part of your life outside of his office.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    "Socially" is being used as a contrast to "professionally". He sees you professionally in his role as a therapist. He should not try to become familiar with you in a personal way - become a part of your life outside of his office.
    I wonder why not have used "privately", because "to date with you" is very private while being social appears to have the presence of other people (like in a party with lot of folks)?

kentix

English - U.S.
    I wonder why not have used "privately", because "to date with you" is very private while being social appears to have the presence of other people (like in a party with lot of folks)?
    But he shouldn't do that either. Your therapist should not be your friend and come to parties with you and spend time with your family just as he shouldn't try to date you. He has to maintain professional objectivity so he can help you with your problems effectively. He has to be neutral about the rest of your life.

andrewg927

English - American
    Dating is not just a private affair. It is a social affair. You can date or meet in public. Being involved in a client's private life outside the confines of professional therapy is considered not appropriate.

Canard

English, USA
    This was my understanding also. Good answer!

< Previous | Next >