See you

Avalon

Philippines, English
here in america, when we talk to someone we know, and we're about to end the conversation, we sometimes say "see ya" short for "see you later". do you also say that in italian, and if so, how do you say it? :)

• We say: "Ci vediamo!" which is the exact translation of "See you".
    Anyway it is usually used if we already know we're going to meet this person somewhere else very soon in the future or if you usually meet him/her.
    By the way, I don't think there are "rules" about the use of this phrase.

Bye bye

Avalon said:
    here in america, when we talk to someone we know, and we're about to end the conversation, we sometimes say "see ya" short for "see you later". do you also say that in italian, and if so, how do you say it? :)

We usually say "ci vediamo" o "ci si vede".
    But also "a dopo" if we intend to see the person later, or "a domani" if we intend to see him/her tomorrow.

Cheers

How about "a presto" which I always thought was a more *hopeful* "see ya soon"?

The translation for "see you soon" is exactly "ci vediamo presto" - which usually becomes, in spoken language - "a presto".
    It is used if you leave someone with the promise you'll have to meet him again in the near future.
    Anyway, there are no rules while using these different phrases, it depends on the meaning you want to give to the sentence.
    I think it is the same in English, isn't it?

Back