Seeing the big picture

EmmaEmma

Français - France
Hello everyone,

Is there an English noun that would express the fact of 'seeing the big picture'?

For a bit more context, I want to say something like "We incorporated* these mechanisms into an extended Xxx framework for the sake of..." and there, I want to say: "seeing the big picture" (specifically here, how the mechanisms are positioned with respect to each other in a conceptual space), but in a more formal way (this is for a scientific paper).

(*NB: "...incorporated...into" might be replaced with "...mapped...onto" in this sentence. Does one of these options sound much better than the other?)

Every phrasing I have thought of so far ("breadth of view", "inclusiveness", etc.) sounds either bad or inaccurate to me.

Thanks for your help!

• clairet

England & English (UK version)
    "We mapped* these mechanisms into an extended Xxx framework in order to show the full context"?

* preferable as more specific than "incorporated", which doesn't relate necessarily to showing a big picture while "mapped" does.

I'm assuming you feel "seeing the big picture" is too informal for a scientific paper. Otherwise, it's a well-understood phrase, if a bit hackneyed.

Kelly B

USA English
    In order to offer a broader perspective, maybe. I like Clairet's context as well (this will come as no surprise. ;))

< Previous | Next >