seek a waiver

ironman2012

Chinese
Hi,

Unfortunately, that path was a collision course with Federal Express's grooming policy, which requires men to confine their dos to "a reasonable style."
But the dreadlock deadlock may be easing. On Aug. 8, after a suspension that lasted more than a year, Baltimore beat cop Antoine Chambers was allowed to resume his work with locks intact, thanks to the intercession of the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division. Even FedEx altered its policy slightly a few weeks ago: in the future, observant employees who seek a waiver may wear their locks tucked under uniform hats, says a company spokeswoman.

(This comes from newsweek.com LAW: THE DREADLOCK DEADLOCK by NEWSWEEK STAFF on 9/9/01.)

Does the blue part mean "ask not to observe Federal Express's grooming policy"?

Thanks in advance!

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Not exactly. "Seek" means ask for, but a waiver is an exemption, usually from some specific requirement. They would still have to comply with the rest of the code.

ironman2012

Chinese
    Can I understand ask not to observe confining their dos to "a reasonable style" under the Federal Express's grooming policy? If not, what is the exact meaning?

Uncle Jack

British English
    Can I understand ask not to observe confining their dos to "a reasonable style" under the Federal Express's grooming policy? If not, what is the exact meaning?
    The exact meaning is, as I have said, that they seek an exemption from one specific part of the code. The waiver may have conditions attached, as seems to be the case here, as they still have to tuck their hair under their caps. It cannot be regarded as a blanket exception to not confine their hairdos to "a reasonable style".

Barque

Tamil
    Can I understand ask not to be required to confine observe confining their dos to "a reasonable style" under the Federal Express's grooming policy? If not, what is the exact meaning?
    No, not exactly. As Uncle Jack says, it's unlikely they were asking to be completely exempted from the policy. It appears that dreadlocks aren't considered a "reasonable style" under FedEx's policy. So they're asking specifically for a waiver of the requirement not to have dreadlocks, and it appears that in exchange they're being asked to cover their dreadlocks with uniform hats.

< Previous | Next >