seek refuge in//take shelter in their cellars

< Previous | Next >

swayingrass

Banned
Taiwanese
People usually seek refuge in their cellars during an air raid.
... take shelter in ...

Hi,
Do both of the above sound right and mean pretty much the same? Thanks.

• arueng

CHINESE
    Hi,
    I have a similar question with this thread. Is "seek" optional in the context?
    That is, does the following sound right? Thanks.

People usually refuge in their cellars during an air raid.

arueng

CHINESE
    Thanks, Barque, for your reply. Do you mean the following sounds right to you?

People usually shelter in their cellars during an air raid.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Hi,

I also have a question:

I took a walk along the riverside yesterday and someone knew what I was doing (took the walk) and also knew that it was raining, but he still asked me to take some photos. It was raining and I didn’t bring an umbrella. He was urging me to be quicker and I said:

I have to take shelters first.

I wonder if it sounds natural, I think it’s natural.

Barque

Tamil
    Do you mean you were talking to him on your mobile phone and were telling him your first priority was getting to a dry place? Or was he with you?

I have to take shelters first.
    If I had to use it, I'd drop the s. I have to take shelter.

But I think I'd be more likely to say something like: I need to get out of the rain first. I'll take the photos later.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Do you mean you were talking to him on your mobile phone and were telling him your first priority was getting to a dry place? Or was he with you?

If I had to use it, I'd drop the s. I have to take shelter.

But I think I'd be more likely to say something like: I need to get out of the rain first. I'll take the photos later.
    He wasn't with me; he was talking to me on the phone.

Thanks a lot.

suzi br

English / England
    Thanks, Barque, but refuge can be used as a verb indeed
    I think you are wrong. All of the dictionaries I checked classed this use as archaic, which means we do not use it that way anymore.

Silver, re your questions. Talking on the phone I think Barque's options are best. Or anything else along the lines of telling the friend it is raining too much. "Take shelter first" doesn't work because it misses the point of you opting out of the photgraphy.
    I'm going to take shelter, not photos .. is the sort of thing I would say myself, but I think that is a bit quirky cos there is a pun in there.

< Previous | Next >