seek refuge in...?

< Previous | Next >

phil_34

what things can you 'seek refuge in'? Can you seek refuge in bodybuilding? (if you're chased by a gang of youths and want to protect yourself in some kind and therefore take to bodybuilding.) Can you say in that case: seek refuge in bodybuilding? And is it formal way to say that, or is it informal? I'm asking because 'seek' is formal, I think.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, phil.

Can you say in that case: seek refuge in bodybuilding?
    You can say that.

And is it formal way to say that, or is it informal? I'm asking because 'seek' is formal, I think.
    I'm never quite sure what people mean by "formal" when they ask questions in here. It sounds somewhat literary to me. I wouldn't expect to hear the expression in the speech of somebody who didn't like to read.

phil_34

I'd like to write it in a synopsis which sums up my manuscript. But the manuscript is written in informal language and slang. So that doesn't actually fit if it's literary. What do you think? How else would you say it (in informal language)?

owlman5

English-US
    It doesn't express exactly the same idea, but you might consider "He took up bodybuilding." That sentence would sound normal in just about any type of writing.

I don't think I'd worry too much about the unsuitability of "seek refuge in something" in that synopsis. The phrase isn't uncommon, and I don't think it would look out of place in a book that uses a lot of slang.

< Previous | Next >