Seek / Search / Look for

Learning

Spanish
Hello! Can someone please tell me (in Spanish or in English) which are the differences between those words and how do you use them (some examples if you can)?
Thankss!

• Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Learning said:
    Hello! Can someone please tell me (in Spanish or in English) which are the differences between those words and how do you use them (some examples if you can)?
    Thankss!

seek verb FORMAL
    1 to try to find or get something, especially something which is not a physical object:"Are you actively seeking jobs?" she asked.
    Hundreds of dissidents are seeking refuge/asylum in the US embassy.

2 to ask for advice, help, approval, permission, etc:
    Legal advice should be sought before you take any further action.

search
    1 to look somewhere carefully in order to find something:
    The police searched the woods for the missing boy.
    She searched his face for some sign of forgiveness, but it remained expressionless.
    He searched (in/through) his pockets for some change.
    I've searched high and low (= everywhere), but I can't find my birth certificate.
    The detectives searched the house from top to bottom (= all over it), but they found no sign of the stolen goods.
    FIGURATIVE She searched her mind/memory for the man's name, but she couldn't remember it.
    FIGURATIVE People who are searching after inner peace sometimes turn to religion.

2 to try to find the answer to a problem:
    Philosophers have searched for millennia but they haven't found the meaning of life.
    3 A police officer who searches you or your possessions looks for something you might be hiding:
    The men were searched for drugs and then released.

look for sth/sb
    to try to find something or someone, either because you have lost them or because you need them
    Have you seen my gloves? I've been looking for them all week.
    I was looking for Andy. Do you know where he is?
    How long have you been looking for a job?

:arrow: In seek there is the idea of something not material, intangible

:arrow: In search the idea is that you examine a place carefully in order to find sth.

:arrow: In look for the main idea is that you have lost something.

I hope this helps, bye!!

Art :) ;) :p

donivan

So, is it wrong to say?:

"seek and destroy!" ... since the "seek" means that you have to find it (material, tangible), and then destroy it. Or it'd be better to say "search and destroy"?

thanks

QuestionTag

French - France
    Can you be "seeking" someone? For instance can you seek a good doctor? Or only look for or search for someone?
    Thanks!

Forero

Yes, you can seek a good doctor = "buscar un médico que sea bueno".

It would be a little odd to use seek for "buscar a un médico que es bueno".

Definite, tangible, material things can be sought too, but this usage of seek is uncommon.