seeker after country home truths

< Previous | Next >

Nuzzi

Spanish (Spain)
Hi,
in Saki's "Reginald on house-parties" Reginald says (sorry for the long quotation, but that is the context): "Some hostesses, of course, will forgive anything, even unto pavonicide (is there such a word?) [please note that the question in brackets is by Saki/Reginald himself], as long as one is nice-looking and sufficiently unusual to counterbalance some of the others; and there are others—the girl, for instance, who reads Meredith, and appears at meals with unnatural punctuality in a frock that’s made at home and repented at leisure. She eventually finds her way to India and gets married, and comes home to admire the Royal Academy, and to imagine that an indifferent prawn curry is for ever an effective substitute for all that we have been taught to believe is luncheon. It’s then that she is really dangerous; but at her worst she is never quite so bad as the woman who fires Exchange and Mart questions at you without the least provocation. Imagine the other day, just when I was doing my best to understand half the things I was saying, being asked by one of those seekers after country home truths how many fowls she could keep in a run ten feet by six, or whatever it was! I told her whole crowds, as long as she kept the door shut, and the idea didn’t seem to have struck her before; at least, she brooded over it for the rest of dinner."

Now, what kind of people do you believe to be those "seekers after country home truths"?

Thanks

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    It's a joke. You might start by looking up the phrase "home truths" (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/home+truth) - which means "basic but discomforting facts" - and then see how it's combined with "country home" and "truth seeker" here. It's very complex, with all the overlapping meanings, but it's supposed to be a hyperbolic and slightly absurd description of the kinds of "truths" such people seek to find, by incessantly asking pointless questions.

Nuzzi

Spanish (Spain)
    Thank you very much, lucas-sp... I knew it was a complex joke, that's why I wanted others' views, and particularly English native speakers... Now, up to me to find the right translation!

< Previous | Next >