seeming indifferent remark

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
Hi,

I'm wondering if the following remark can be described as "seemingly indifferent." Note the speaker was referring to an arrested gunman who killed six Asian-Americans.

“Yesterday was a really bad day for him and this is what he did,” said a member of the Cherokee County sheriff’s office.

I'd appreciate your help.

• raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
    Mmmmmmm....
    Maybe “concerningly matter-of-fact”?
    It depends on what you’re trying to convey!

That remark enraged some Asian-American communities, and I'd like to know if there's a suitable description for it, particularly with regard to why it sparked discussions of racism

dojibear

AE (US English)
    It places the experience of the gunman ‘yesterday was a really bad day for him’ above the experience of the victims and their families.
    The sentence doesn't do that. The sentence doesn't say anything about the experience of the victims and their families. So it doesn't say that those experiences were less important.

This sentence was indifferent to everything that was not mentioned in the sentence. So is every sentence in English! "The result is four." is indifferent to Italian-Americans!

What question was this answering? Were there other sentences (not mentioned) that did talk about the victims? If so, then this sentence was "taken out of context". That means someone quoted this sentence, without quoting sentences before and after it which did express the desired sympathy.

Political activists often do that -- they take a sentence out of context, then activists get "enraged" that this sentence didn't say what they wanted to say. Even if the next sentence says what they want. I have seen this happen many times, in US politics.