Mandarin
Hello, there:
In a test, I saw the sentence.
He has seen the movie ______.
(A) for three times
(B) since two hours
(C) at two o'clock
(D) since two o'clock

I don't know which is the correct answer.
I think the answer is D.
May I have your confirmation?
I am confused about the usage of "for" and "since".

Thanks a lot!

• I'm not surprised that you're confused, KYC, because none of the sentences are correct, and they all mean something different when translated into idiomatic English.

(A) He has seen the movie three times. (No "for" is necessary.) This means exactly what it says: He has seen the movie on three separate occasions.

(B) He has been watching the movie for two hours. This means that he has been in the process of watching the movie for the past two hours. The test version is wrong, although "since" is often confused with "for" in this type of sentence by non-native speakers.

(C) He saw the movie at two o'clock. This means that he went to the two o'clock showing of the film.

Another possibility is: He has already seen the movie at two o'clock. Here, the meaning is, again, exactly what it says: He's already seen the movie at the two o'clock showing (and probably doesn't want to see it again.)

(D) He has been watching the movie since two o'clock. This is similar to (B), except that it specifies the time he started watching and doesn't say how long the watching has continued.

In other words, when re-worded into idiomatic English, all four version are possible, but as offered on the test none of them work.

brian&me

Chinese - China
    He has already seen the movie at two o'clock.
    This sentence is also possible!? That really surprised me. For many years, I've had an idea that when you talk about a past time, you should use a past tense.

Friends, I’d like your confirmation that this sentence -- he has already seen the movie at two o'clock -- is possible.

Thanks a lot in advance.

brian&me

Chinese - China
    Thanks, ain.

Do you mean that in he has already seen the movie at two o'clock, 'at two o'clock' modifies 'the movie', not 'has seen'?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    He has seen the movie (D) since two o'clock :tick:

A: “What does the boss think of the new version of the movie?”
    B: “He says that the scene with the ship is a little out of focus.”
    A: “I edited that at two o'clock – it should be OK.”
    B: “He has seen the movie (D) since two o'clock and he still does not like it.”

< Previous | Next >