Seguite sempre un papa grasso con sottile

murrom

Spain, spanish
Hi everybody! Does someone know what means this Italian saying in English or Spanish? I'm trying to catch the sense at least. Thanks so much!:)

"Seguite sempre un papa grasso con sottile"

• Damned

Italy
    OMG, I don't really know what it could mean! I'm italian, and I've never heard such a thing in italian... It seems something is missing after 'sottile'.

ElaineG

USA/English
    Damned said:
    OMG, I don't really know what it could mean! I'm Italian, and I've never heard such a thing in Italian... It seems something is missing after 'sottile'.
    Well, I remember from last year's Papal elections that we were always being told by the media that "Always follow a fat pope with a skinny pope" is an "old Italian saying."

This looks, as Carrick says, like a somewhat botched attempt to say that.

Is that really an old Italian saying or has it never been heard of, either in the South or the North?

Damned

Italy
    ElaineG said:
    Well, I remember from last year's Papal elections that we were always being told by the media that "Always follow a fat pope with a skinny pope" is an "old Italian saying."

Is that really an old Italian saying or has it never been heard of, either in the South or the North?
    Wow, I didn't know of this saying! I looked for it on google, and i found the English "Always follow a fat pope with a skinny one", but nothing in Italian... I'm from the north of Italy, and I have never heard it, I'll ask someone!

Necsus

Italian (Italy)
    Allora, ho trovato che si trattava di una regola per cui "a un papa grasso con la R nel cognome, ne seguiva uno magro senza R", una coincidenza, forse, che comunque si verificava dalla metà del diciannovesimo secolo. Non fu più rispettata con l'elezione di Papa Luciani, Giovanni Paolo I, che avrebbe dovuto essere "grasso con la R", dopo Papa Montini, Paolo VI.​

< Previous | Next >