Sehnsucht

Artrella

Banned
BA
Spanish-Argentina
Bitte, können ihr mir helfen mit diesen Text?

Ich sehne mich nach einem Häuschen in Bayern oder an der Spree, ein Zimmer braucht es nur zu haben, dazu ein Bad und ein WC. Im Zimmer würde ich notieren, was ich beim Baden grad gedichtet, um im WC würd' dann das Machwerk von mir gleich hinterrücks vernichtet.

(Tangram 2)

Hier, meine Besetzung auf Englisch.... :D

I wish a small house in Bayern or in ------ Spree (is it a place?), I only need a room, besides a bathroom and a toilet. In the room I would write (notieren ??) .....ooohhhh.... I dannot continue

gedichted = written poetry

grad = level, degree

Machwerk= effort

Ohh bitte hilfe!!

• gaer

US-English
    Art,

I'm equally puzzled.

Ich sehne mich nach einem Häuschen in Bayern oder an der Spree, ein Zimmer braucht es nur zu haben, dazu ein Bad und ein WC. Im Zimmer würde ich notieren, was ich beim Baden grad gedichtet, um im WC würd' dann das Machwerk von mir gleich hinterrücks vernichtet.
    ------
    My goodness! Where are you getting these kinds of sentences from? These are in no way easy or clear sentences for beginners. If I taught music this way, all my students would quit. Good grief!!! (The first sentence is okay, but the second? INSANE!)
    ====
    Hier, meine Besetzung auf Englisch....
    ------
    I would say: meine englische Übersetzung. But warning. ANY advice I give you about how to write German may be wrong. I have a one-way brain, German to English.
    ====
    I wish a small house in Bayern or in ------ Spree (is it a place?), I only need a room, besides a bathroom and a toilet. In the room I would write (notieren ??) .....ooohhhh.... I dannot continue
    ------
    No wonder. I can't for the life of me see how sentence number 2 connects to sentence number 1.

Ich sehne mich nach einem Häuschen in Bayern oder an der Spree, ein Zimmer braucht es nur zu haben, dazu ein Bad und ein WC.

First, sich sehnen nach=long "oneself" for". Of course that "oneself" is totally useless in English, so just make note of the fact that it is refexive.

Nach=towards, but it has many other meanings (prepositions!), and in this case it means "for".

nach einem Häuschen, for a "little/small house (or apartment?)", diminuative. Anything that ends in "chen" this way is neuter. Usually the main word adds an Umlaut (Haus, Häus + chen)

I have NO idea what "Spree" is, but from the grammar, it appears to be a body of water. I saw it mentioned related to Berlin, so if it is mentioned "in Bayern oder an der Spree", perhaps a river. (My knowledge of geography is pitiful. Location here shows dative "der", change of case, so "die Spree" I think, "eine Fluss".

ein Zimmer braucht es nur zu haben=one room needs it only to have=it only needs to have one room (meaning main room)

dazu=in addition, besides dazu=that-to=to that=ADD to that, thus besides…

ein Bad und ein WC, a "bath" and a WC. Bad must mean something like bathtub, not short for "Badzimmer", "bathroom, WC, loo, etc."
    ====
    Im Zimmer würde ich notieren, was ich beim Baden grad gedichtet, um im WC würd' dann das Machwerk von mir gleich hinterrücks vernichtet.

I have NO idea what this 2nd sentence is talking about! I'll let Who or Ralf puzzle out what is going on. I understand all the words, but they don't add up. This is truly a puzzle. Could this be out of context? Is there more?

Gaer (sharing your frustration)

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    gaer said:
    Art,

I'm equally puzzled.
    This is truly a puzzle. Could this be out of context? Is there more?

Gaer (sharing your frustration)
    Well, Gaer, this is a little box that appears on page 1, Lektion 1 from my Tangram 2 Kursbuch. There is nothing else... thank God! Maybe is some kind of a joke or humorous thing, for me it is a frustrating thing!

Yes, Spree seems to be lake or river, but I couldn't find it in the dictionary.

temujin

Norway / norwegian
    Artrella said:

grad = level, degree
    Machwerk= effort
    Ohh bitte hilfe!!
    Hi Art.
    let me try:

I´m longing for a small house in Bayern or by the Spree, it doesn´t need more than one room, a bathroom and a WC. In the room I would write down what I have been "thinking about" when I was taking a bath, and in the WC I would destroy "the whole shit" by .....

Translating it directly is hard. The meaning is that he will wipe his butt with the paper on which he wrote down his poem
    grad=gerade (just)
    Spree = the river running through Berlin.
    Machwerk = this normally refers to a really bad piece of "art"

t.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    temujin said:
    Hi Art.
    let me try:

I´m longing for a small house in Bayern or by the Spree, it doesn´t need more than one room, a bathroom and a WC. In the room I would write down what I have been "thinking about" when I was taking a bath, and in the WC I would destroy "the whole shit" by .....

Translating it directly is hard. The meaning is that he will wipe his butt with the paper on which he wrote down his poem
    grad=gerade (just)
    Spree = the river running throug Berlin.
    Machwerk = this normally refers to a really bad pieco of "art"

t.
    :eek: Thx Temujin! Now I'll go to my German class, and I needed to understand it before my class. Danke schön!!!

gaer

US-English
    temujin said:
    Hi Art.
    let me try:

grad=gerade (just)
    Spree = the river running through Berlin.
    Machwerk = this normally refers to a really bad piece of "art"

t.
    Good grief. I didn't notice it rhymed.

I'm not feeling very well, so please excuse my irritation, but I think if anyone gave me such a thing for learning German, I would be quite furious and I would accuse the teacher of being an incompetent fool.

This is beyond ridiculous.

G

ingafstef

Germany / Spanish / English
    I long for a little house in Bavaria on the Spree (river), it only needs to have one room, one bath and a toillet. In the room I would write down what I have written during my bath and in the toilet I would destroy the effort made.

there is no way you can get a right translation out of the German text unless you separate from the rules that regulate the wording in here. This should be the right translation.

Artrella said:

(Tangram 2)

grad = level, degree

Machwerk= effort

Ohh bitte hilfe!!

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Artrella said:

(Tangram 2)

grad = level, degree

Machwerk= effort

Ohh bitte hilfe!!
    I also can't translate it, and I know why all the other foreros are helpless in translating as well. Since there is a confusion in the second part of the second sentence, let me correct it and make you check it it again, if you copied this article correctly:

It has to be either

..., um im WC dann das Machwerk von mir gleich hinterrücks zu vernichten.

or

..., und im WC würd' ich dann das Machwerk von mir gleich hinterrücks vernichten.

or

..., und im WC würd' dann das Machwerk von mir gleich hinterrücks vernichtet werden.

Ralf

German
    Oh Art, do you remember my thread about the German humorist Heinz Erhardt I opened a couple of weeks ago? You asked me then when you would be able to understand those jokes. Now you have to translate them--poor girl;). The rhyme is definitely taken from one of his poems and it has a little strain of his unmistakable humor. Unfortunately I have no more time left to think about an appropriate translation--perhaps tomorrow. What I like most of it is the pun with the word "hinterrücks" (literally: behind my back), I guess you'll find a hint in temujin's translation.

I will come back to this.

Ralf

Ralf

German
    ingafstef said:
    I long for a little house in Bavaria or on the Spree (river), it only needs to have one room, one bath and a toillet. In the room I would write down what I have written during my bath and in the toilet I would destroy the effort made.

there is no way you can get a right translation out of the German text unless you separate from the rules that regulate the wording in here. This should be the right translation.
    I agree this would be a perfect translation to reflect the literal implications properly. However, since taken from a poem by Heinz Erhardt it should be understood with tongue in cheek to get a sense of the humor hidden in it. I would try the following attempt:

It's a little hut I'm longing for
    in the mountains or on some river's shore.
    A single room, I think, would do,
    plus bathroom and, of course, a loo.

I'd put down there in my den
    my poetry contrived in bath, and then
    hurry to the loo in urgent rush
    to give that stuff a thorough flush.

Alternatively the last two lines could go:
    would dispense of it what I could not stand
    slyly to the loo with a sweeping motion of my hand.

As mentioned in my previous post there is a pun in the German original played on the word "hinterrücks", which, literally translated means as much as 'slyly' or 'deceitful'. Taken apart this word can be understood as "behind my back" and therefore as referring to some certain activities necessary after defacation using the paper with the poems written on it instead of normal toilet paper. Thus the writer is indicating that he will never take his own writing too seriously and would not hesitate to dump (in the toilet) what appeared to be too pathetic or awkward on second thought.

I hope I put that somehow understandable.

Ralf

gaer

US-English
    Artrella said:
    Let me share that "grrrrr" with you!!! But, you see? In trying to understand that joke, we all learnt something...ja ja :p
    I learned nothing from that joke, because trying to figure it out pulled me away from studying other things that make sense. I repeat: I have no patience for faulty teaching methods. To put something like that in a book to teach beginners is simply wrong, in my opinion. :(

You know I don't state things that strongly very often. And I certainly don't blame you for asking a question about it, because how could you possibly know? ;)

Gaer

Silke

Germany - German/English
    Hi Artrella!
    Thought I give it a go, too.

I longe for a house in Bavaria or at the river Spree, 1 room will do and of course a loo.
    In the room I write down what I have composed while having a bath destroying my masterpiece directly afterwards in the loo.

But this can't top Ralf's translation - a REAL masterpiece!!

Coming to the lessons, we all know the German language is one of the most difficult ones (OK, there are worse ones) but still, they don't have to directly frighten the people off!

Hope this little bit is helpful!
    Have a nice day folks!

< Previous | Next >