Selective schooling (grammar schools - UK)

Gringuita Latina

Senior Member
English, UK

I have no idea how to translate the English (although now quite outdated) system of 'selective schooling', that is, government-funded schools called grammar schools where you have to take an entry exam (the 11+) to get in. They are usually single-sex, but different from private/public schools beacause they are free, and only people who pass the 11+ can attend.
What would they be called in Italian?

Grazie mile
  • Spiritoso78

    Senior Member

    as far as I remember the sole term that now occurs to me is "Esame di ammissione", but unlike your schooling system such term is referred to University only, not to grammar or elementary school system....

    Maybe " Corso preparatorio"...