self-directed learners

brown poodle

korean
I wonedre if the underlined part sound natural when I want to say learners should be responsible for their learning.

Learners should be self directed for their study.

• lingobingo

English - England
    No. It’s not a natural thing to say. We don’t know exactly what you mean, without more context, but self-disciplined may be appropriate (though not with “for”).

brown poodle

korean
    No. It’s not a natural thing to say. We don’t know exactly what you mean, without more context, but self-disciplined may be appropriate (though not with “for”).
    I am trying to say that leaners should be motivated to find out things for themselves in the learning process by using their experience and curiosity and asking questions. I am looking for a short phrase that express the ideas I mentioned.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    The term "self-directed learner" exists, but it has a different meaning. Self-directed learners decide, on their own, what to study, in what order to study it, what books to read or other sources to use, how to assure themselves that they have mastered the material, and so on. They don't have a teacher or someone else to guide their learning. I don't think that's what you're trying to say here.