Self-explanatory vs. self-explicit

< Previous | Next >

Lagrangepoint

English (UK)
Recently I encountered the term 'self-explicit' in an official correspondence and I corrected it to 'self-explanatory'. It was in a predominantly French-speaking country and had to explain the difference in meaning between explicit (clearly stated) and explanatory (which intends to make clear). I also mentioned that the former has another meaning with sexual connotations.

My 1st question: Are there regions where in the local variety of English, 'self-explicit' can be used interchangeably with 'self-explanatory'?

My 2nd; Ignoring local usage, is it grammatically correct? My answer is a definite no. However I would like other opinions.

Context sentence: "Please find attached a self-explanatory letter from the Ministry of Finance."

Thanks
LGP

• Copyright

American English
    Even before I opened your message, I thought exactly as you did -- explicit and self-explanatory. I've never heard self-explicit, which sounds like a simple error to me. This is from an AE viewpoint.

Brioche

Australia English
    I would not say "self-explicit".

It does not make sense to me, even when told that it is meant as a synonym for "self-explanatory".

Dare I be so judgemental as to say it is wrong?

Lagrangepoint

English (UK)
    I would not say "self-explicit".

It does not make sense to me, even when told that it is meant as a synonym for "self-explanatory".

Dare I be so judgemental as to say it is wrong?
    Judging from the responses, it would be wrong to say 'self-explicit'. Thanks a lot for your help guys.

If others have opinions (differing or in agreement); keep them coming...

< Previous | Next >