sell a particular amount of money

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering what the underlined part mean:

“IN FIVE years, we will sell one trillion dollars.” That is the bet that Jack Ma, the chairman of Alibaba, made with American businessmen on a recent trip to Chicago. The Chinese firm is already the world’s biggest e-commerce outfit. But now Mr Ma thinks he can more than dou- ble the volume of sales on his firm’s online-sales platforms by 2020.

I am familiar with the phrase "sell something for some money". Is it the omitted version of it? Which means He willing make one trillion income in five years.

• Copyright

American English
    The Economist: Clicks to bricks
    “IN FIVE years, we will sell one trillion dollars (worth of products online).” That is the bet that Jack Ma, the chairman of Alibaba, made with American businessmen on a recent trip to Chicago. The Chinese firm is already the world’s biggest e-commerce outfit. But now Mr Ma thinks he can more than double the volume of sales on his firm’s online-sales platforms by 2020.

It's his shorthand way of saying that he will have sales of one trillion dollars.

Sun14

Chinese
    The Economist: Clicks to bricks
    “IN FIVE years, we will sell one trillion dollars (worth of products online).” That is the bet that Jack Ma, the chairman of Alibaba, made with American businessmen on a recent trip to Chicago. The Chinese firm is already the world’s biggest e-commerce outfit. But now Mr Ma thinks he can more than double the volume of sales on his firm’s online-sales platforms by 2020.

It's his shorthand way of saying that he will have sales of one trillion dollars.
    Got it. Thank you very much.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I wouldn't call this standard. To me, selling money is literally that: exchanging currency at a certain rate for another currency. You wouldn't normally describe it this way, of course, but you might say it about foreign money you've got left over after a holiday (perhaps at a worse rate than usual). In the context of that article, of course, it's clear he must be talking about making sales worth that amount, but I have to re-read it to get that.

Sun14

Chinese
    I wouldn't call this standard. To me, selling money is literally that: exchanging currency at a certain rate for another currency. You wouldn't normally describe it this way, of course, but you might say it about foreign money you've got left over after a holiday (perhaps at a worse rate than usual). In the context of that article, of course, it's clear he must be talking about making sales worth that amount, but I have to re-read it to get that.
    Got it. I think the same way. Thank you over much.

< Previous | Next >