Sell out of the store

< Previous | Next >

ynk85

greek - Greece
The retailers fell into two main categories. There were the local office supply retailers, generally small business themselves, and there were the general merchandise
discounters, such as BJ’s Wholesale and Wal-Mart. The smaller retailers had an intrinsically high cost structure. They were full-service retailers who purchased in small lots, and delivered in trucks or sold out of the store. The general merchandise discounters purchased from wholesalers or direct from manufacturers, and their prices were much lower, but they did not carry a wide range of product.

Source:
Strategic Management: Theory & Cases: An Integrated Approach
Charles W. L. Hill, Melissa A. Schilling, Gareth R. Jones

I have difficulty understanding the meaning of the phrase "delivered in trucks or sold out of the store". Does it mean that the retailers delivered the merchandise to the clients by trucks? (I am confused because this is done by wholesalers.)
Also, I know the meaning of "sell out" but it doesn't make sense for me here, to say that they run out of goods out of the store.

Do you think that I am missing something?

• lingobingo

English - England
    It just means that the smaller retailers took orders remotely and delivered the goods by truck, as well as selling directly through their own stores.

< Previous | Next >