sell out on

Karavostassis

Catalan - Catalunya
Hi, friends,

Again a problem with a phrasal verb. What does it mean?

He treated me like I was selling out on something, though on what I do not know – because Liam did not allow dreams either, of course.

Thanks a lot.

• Matching Mole

England, English
    I think you will need to quote the preceding text. Liam did not allow dreams either: so who else did not allow dreams and what does that mean?

I presume "selling out on" means to betray or give up on some ideal ("on" meaning "with respect to").

Karavostassis

Catalan - Catalunya
    He blamed me for my nice house, with the nice white paint on the walls, and the nice daughters in their bedrooms of nice lilac and nicer pink. He blamed me for my golf-loving husband, though God knows it is many years since Tom had the free time for a round of golf. He treated me like I was selling out on something, though on what I do not know – because Liam did not allow dreams either, of course. My brother had strong ideas about justice...

Last edited:

Matching Mole

England, English
    In that case he probably means that she is selling out on (his, rather than her own) social(ist) ideals by being "upwardly mobile" or bourgeois (hence reference to the nice house, etc.). These are the dreams that he despises.

< Previous | Next >