semantic,lexical and stylistic problems in translation

Fuzzy1987

Turkish-English-Un poco de Espanol,Deustch
HI!

I am studying English-Turkish interpretation in college.And I want to have some infor. about the problems we can meet during translation especially these:semantic,lexical and stylistic problems.I need these for my project.I would be very pleased if one of you is an interpretor and help me.I would be very delightful to have a few examples for these obstacles of translation..

Thanks in advance..

• Hakro

Finnish - Finland
    Fuzzy1987 said:
    I am studying English-Turkish interpretation in college.And I want to have some infor. about the problems we can meet during translation especially these:semantic,lexical and stylistic problems.I need these for my project.I would be very pleased if one of you is an interpretor and help me.I would be very delightful to have a few examples for these obstacles of translation.
    Hello all Turkish members, your help is needed! We who are other nationalities can't do much in the beginning, maybe later, I hope.

lauranazario

Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    Hakro said:
    We who are other nationalities can't do much in the beginning, maybe later, I hope.
    That's the spirit, Hakro! :)
    Maybe later on within the thread --and only if Fuzzy deems it necessary-- we can provide input on interpretation challenges in other language pairs.

Saludos,
    LN

Fuzzy1987

hi there;)!hakro sorry but I didn't get what you mean exactly??trying to say that Turkish,Finnish and other languages aren't so popular worldwide
    and we should collaborate?ok it's fine with me I would like to help as much as I can;)by the way I also thank you for your attempt Lauranazario.I would be grateful for an application like you mentioned..It would be great!You know a headline of 'Translation' maybe..Anyway this site is getting more more caring,beneficial and sweet;)take care friends!

Hakro

Finnish - Finland
    Fuzzy1987 said:
    hi there;)!hakro sorry but I didn't get what you mean exactly??trying to say that Turkish,Finnish and other languages aren't so popular worldwide and we should collaborate?ok it's fine with me I would like to help as much as I can;)by the way I also thank you for your attempt Lauranazario.This site is getting more more caring,beneficial and sweet;)take care friends!
    I was trying to say that in the beginning of the studies the Turkish members are the best to explain obstacles and difficulties between Turkish and English but later on we all may be able to give some help.

Fuzzy1987

ok I understand you.You're right.But you know it is not necessary to be a comparison between English-Turkish it would also be beneficial for me to have an example of these translation problems in other languages,like english,spanish e.t.c.I just wanted to the common meaning you know..Anyway thanks again;)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Fuzzy1987 said:
    ok I understand you.You're right.But you know it is not necessary to be a comparison between English-Turkish it would also be beneficial for me to have an example of these translation problems in other languages,like english,spanish e.t.c.I just wanted to the common meaning you know..Anyway thanks again;)

Hi Fuzzy,
    Now that I'm clear what you are looking for, I strongly suggest you try to get a copy of the recent memoir by Gregory Rabassa. He has been, for decades, a master translator of Brazilian Portuguese and Spanish --mostly Latin American-- literature into English. His memoir gives lots of examples of difficult stylistic and lexical problems, together with his attempts at solutions. The book is:

If This be Treason, Translation and its Dyscontents
    ISBN 0-8112-1619-5
    Here is a site with a review of the book: http://www.complete-review.com/reviews/translate/rabassa.htm

Fuzzy1987

Thanks a lot Cuchuflete.This book will be useful for me,I believe.I will try to obtain it as soon as I can..
    I send you my sincere thanks..