send a law enforcement team to address the situation

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
The expression "to address the situation" sounds awkward to me. Should it simply be "to solve the problem" (This one is not idiomatic to me)? There must be some idiomatic expressions to describe it. I dunno.

(The following is an edited version of translation based on the helpful opinions from our members)

Students from Guizhou Science and Technology College tell the reporter that the square dancing women have recently gathered on the road very close to the college gate to dance every evening, impeding the traffic there. Some men volunteered to guard for them, raising a rope barrier to divert passing vehicles. "Since it is a busy intersection, it is dangerous to dance there," the students say. Some citizens also express their concern for safety.

The reporter has made a call to the urban management department, which replies that they will send a law enforcement team to address the situation. Keep tuning in.

Source: Chinese-English translation practice by me.

<Image removed by moderator (Florentia52)>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    It comes across to me as a typically pompous official way of saying they were sending the police out to do something about it.

Myridon

English - US
    And again, simple is better. "... they will send the police." Do you really need to tell us what the police are for? :)

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The expression "to address the situation" sounds awkward to me.
    It is idiomatic, and sounds normal to me in AE. We also use the verb "address" in "address the problem". The verb "address" means "face directly; don't avoid" and implies "deal with, handle". The verb "address" has had this meaning for hundreds of years.

"Solve the problem" would claim that there is a "problem". Is people dancing a "problem"? Who is it a "problem" for? That is opinion. Not everyone agrees it is a "problem". In AE we often use "situation" to mean a small, less important "problem".

Similarly, the police might "solve it" or might not "solve it". That is opinion. Whatever change happens (as a result of the police visit), different people will have different opinions. Some will say "that solved it" while others will say "that didn't solve it".

That is why a neutral phrase like "address the situation" is best in this situation.

As in most situations, English has several different ways to say things. Each of them has different nuances:
    - solve the problem
    - address the situation
    - handle the matter
    - deal with the issue
    - enforce the law
    - find a solution
    - rectify the conflict
    - arbitrate the disagreement

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >