send it crashing into the courtyard below


New Member
I've seen this sentence:

A gust of wind swept the bed off the roof and sent it crashing into the courtyard below.

Although I can get the main idea of the sentence, I'm still uncertain about the use of 'sent it crashing into'.
And I wonder if this phrase is commonly used in formal written English?

Please help me out.
Thank you all in advance.
  • JoyLo

    The use of 'crashing ..down' in this sentence gives a more graphic idea of the bed hitting the courtyard than by just saying a gust of wind swept the bed off the roof into the courtyard. It is a more descriptive use of the language.

    suzi br

    Senior Member
    English / England

    Yes to send something followed by an -ing form verb is quite common.

    The one I most aware if is to send something flying, which means to knock something over in a fairly vigorous way. The one you have spotted is the same sort of idea, although I have not seen it so often.
    < Previous | Next >