send vs send off

Phi

USA
Arabic
Hi,

My native speaker friend has written this sentence to me in his email.

"I think we have reached a point to send it off"
"It" refers to a spreadsheet.

I am curious to know the role and meaning of OFF. Will it make a difference if we lose OFF and stay with just " send"?

As a favor to me, please correct any mistakes in my post.
Many thanks

• Cypherpunk

US, English
    In this case, the sentence will mean the same thing, whether you say 'send it' or 'send it off'.

I would say off is functioning as an adverb, and it will work whether the destination has been specified or not.

Phi

USA
    Arabic
    Yes. The destination is predetermined and we know where it is supposed to go. Are you saying that my friend used " OFF" to refer to that specific and clear destination?

Cypherpunk

US, English
    No, off is used in a non-specific way. The destination does not need to be known. We are simply sending the letter, package, information on a trip of some distance. You may wish to compare it with send-off, which is often given when a person is sent off to a distant place.

Phi

USA
    Arabic
    Sorry, "on a trip of some distance" is too native for me :). I can understand it roughly but could you please explain the meaning exactly ? I can't understand the comparison of a person with a letter as well. Sorry again:)

Cypherpunk

US, English
    It doesn't matter what you are sending (a person or a thing), when you use this expression, just as it doesn't matter where you are sending them, as long as it is far away. You can send a letter off to Russia. You can send a package off to California. You can send a missionary off to Africa. In each case, you are sending something or someone far away from where you are.

Esca

ATX
    USA - English
    Hi Phi,
    Maybe I can clarify...

The meaning is not very different.
    To me, "send it off" just means "send it away."

"Send it" is more simple, and just refers to the process of mailing.
    "Send it off" means that you are sending it away. It has a sense of finality (you won't be able to change it again), and a suggestion that the spreadsheet is going on a journey to somewhere else.

< Previous | Next >