Send wishes back

< Previous | Next >

a3mlord

Português (Portugal)
I was just told: "Best wishes for 2014". My natural reaction would be to answer "My wishes are reciprocal", but I believe that this might be either too formal or wrong. What would be the common ways to send wishes back withough saying "I also wish" or "I wish"?

Thanks

• Cypherpunk

US, English
    Welcome to the forum!
    There are several ways you can say this. The least formal, and probably one I would only use with good friends, is 'Likewise!' Depending on how you say it, the next one could be somewhat formal or informal: 'The same to you.' I can't think of any others that wouldn't sound stiff and formal, but perhaps others have some suggestions.

cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    You are correct that "My wishes are reciprocal" is wrong. I don't believe any native speaker would say that.
    A couple of possibilities:
    Very colloquial: "Same to you."
    Extremely colloquial: "Back atcha" (meaning "back at you").
    There must be other ways to say this, but they don't come to mind.

a3mlord

Português (Portugal)
    Thanks.

In this particular case, I'd like to be somewhat formal.

Likewise sounds a bit informal to me. I remember of meeting someone in the US a couple of years ago and being told "pleasure to meet you". When I said "likewise" my cousin (US native speaker) told me it was somewhat rude and he woulda told something else.

Anways, could you please say if "My wishes are reciprocate" is gramatically right / common in the US even if in formal speach?

BTW, I'll reply to an e-mail :)

estoy_lerniendo

English - U.S. (Midwest)
    Welcome to the forum!
    There are several ways you can say this. The least formal, and probably one I would only use with good friends, is 'Likewise!' Depending on how you say it, the next one could be somewhat formal or informal: 'The same to you.' I can't think of any others that wouldn't sound stiff and formal, but perhaps others have some suggestions.
    Interesting. I've always been under the impression that "likewise" is just slightly more formal than "(the) same to you."

< Previous | Next >