senior quote

AliBadass

persian
In the series Prison Break a prisoner is in the infirmary of the prison with the doctor of there. Then the prisoner cites a sentence and then after that the doctor looks at him surprisingly.

Prisoner: "Be the change you want to see in the world."
Doctor: (Looking surprisingly)
Prisoner: What?
Doctor: Nothing. That was just my senior quote.
Prisoner: That was you? This whole time, I was thinking it was Gandhi.

What is a ''senior quote''?

• Copyright

American English
    A senior quote is a quote you submit – presumably for inclusion in your class yearbook – when you are a senior in high school, your last year before you hopefully graduate.

The joke/insight here is that it is a quote from Gandhi (which the doctor knows) – most seniors aren't creative enough to come up with their own quotes, so they look for a famous quote to submit.

AliBadass

persian
    Thank you. But if you'll excuse me I got to say I'm still short on that. Would you mind explaining more?

Everyday everybody says lots of sentences, are all of them ''senior quotes''? What kind of sentences are they?

And just to add context here: After that the prisoner says ''I thought it was Gandhi'', the doctor laughs and says: ''You're very funny'', as if it is actually hers.

Copyright

American English
    A senior quote is a quote you submit to your yearbook committee for inclusion in your yearbook when you are a senior in high school. You have to be in grade 12 (in the US). All the students in the high school -- grades 9 or 10 to 12 -- are featured in each year's yearbook, but seniors typically have more space, bigger pictures and things such as "senior quotes" that people in the lower grades do not have -- because seniors are about to graduate.

Ah, I see ... I read too fast. So the doctor says it was his senior quote when he was in his last year of high school. And the prisoner says, "That was you? The whole time I was thinking it was Gandhi." He's needling the doctor a bit ... probably good-naturedly and with a straight face (no smile). And he's saying he thought it was Gandhi -- which it is, so he's a pretty bright prisoner, or at least well-read.

AliBadass

persian
    Oh I got it now. Thank you so much. I was thinking that ''senior quotes'' are the quotes by famous people like Gandhi. Thank you.