sense between calling a name and a full name

< Previous | Next >

kiku_hana

Vietnamese
Here is the hint:

Carol called again to say that she couldn't able to attend the wedding. This set off another round of arguing and consoling between my mother and Ashley, not to mention Lydia Catrell, who wondered out loud several times if this girl was raised in a barn.

(That Summer, Sarah Dessen, p.37)

Usually we call a person his name, not a full name. So,

- Is there any negative tone when using a full name like above? (the author only called this character her full name and I myself sense the negative tone, but still want to be confirmed)

Thanks

• lian.alon22

US
    US-English
    I think that Ashley is part of the family, whereas Lydia is not, and so the author probably used her last name to distinguish this. It's not a tone thing, it's just something to distinguish a characteristic of the character.

newslang123

USA
    English- US
    I think you're right. It does have a negative tone, a little. Especially since the statement after Lydia's name portrays her in a negative way.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    The negative tone is much stronger when addressing a person. If Lydia had been the one behaving badly:

'Lydia Catrell, were you raised in a barn?'

This, whether said by any family member or by anyone else, contains a rebuke of some kind. (I don't know why.) As far as I know, its use in practice is entirely confined to Harry Potter fan fiction, but it's so common there that I have to assume it's also said in real life in AmE. No-one has ever addressed me that way, and lord knows I've done some bad things.

< Previous | Next >